Whether or not an internship is paid or unpaid, with or without credit, it offers you a wonderful learning experience. Many students do internships simply for the experience.
Tufts offers two options for recognizing your internship: Academic Credit or Career Center Internship Credit.
Academic Internship Credit
The Career Center does not offer academic credit. If you are seeking academic credit, you need to determine if an academic department or program offers an internship course for credit. Several departments at Tufts offer internship courses for academic credit, but these courses may not be available each semester. Please contact the appropriate academic department for more information.
Below are links to departments currently providing internship course/credit information on their websites.
- American Studies
- Child Development
- Civic Studies
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Community Health
- Film & Media Studies/Communications
- Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Environmental Studies
- Finance & Business
- International Relations
- Mechanical Engineering
- Peace and Justice Studies
- Political Science
- SMFA/Studio Art — contact Nate Harrison, SMFA Interim Dean
- Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
Career Center Internship Credit
Tufts Career Center Internship Credit is an official way to note an internship on your transcript upon satisfactory completion. Students may register for this when their employer requires some sort of recognition by the University for an unpaid internship, and the internship credit is not available through an academic department.
Tufts Career Center Internship Credit is not academic credit. It does not affect the total number of credits you need for graduation. Since you do not receive a grade, it does not affect your grade-point average. This internship option does not fulfill major, minor, or degree requirements. No faculty sponsorship is required.
Please Note: Some organizations will not accept Career Center Internship Credit for unpaid internships. It is your responsibility to determine credit requirements and make plans accordingly.
Prerequisites for Career Center Internship Credit
- You must be a matriculated, enrolled student at Tufts University.
- You must complete the internship before graduation.
- You must register before the beginning of your internship; credit will not be given retroactively.
- Summer interns must work a minimum of 150 hours. Fall or spring interns must work at least 75 hours.
- There is no cost for Career Center Internship Credit.
- There is no limit on the number of times you may receive Career Center Internship Credit.
To learn more about Career Center Internship Credit, visit this page.