We meet with First Years through Graduate Students in advising appointments, and it is always interesting to find out what students are surprised by. Maybe a blog post is the way to share some of these things so they are no longer surprises!
1.Handshake and the Career Center website are not the same thing.
If you are reading this blog post, it probably means that you know this, but help us spread the word.
Handshake is a platform that has all the internship, full-time, experienced job postings, events (both Career Center-sponsored and Employer-hosted) the ability to make appointments with advisors and links to some of the subscription services we pay for and need to put behind a firewall.
Our website has many other things, including:
- “how to” advice on resumes, cover letters, interviewing, networking etc.
- Career Communities – Resources, links, blogs, curated jobs and events based on 8 broad sets of student interests
- Links to important resources like The Herd (our flash mentoring platform)
- Destination data for the last 4 years and more. (Check it out https://careers.tufts.edu/)
- Most students are not using Handshake to its fullest
- Create saved searches to get notifications from the system that a job matching your search criteria has been posted (most students are not creating multiple searches with excellent key words either)
- Complete your profile fully so recruiters can find you!
- Find and follow companies you’re interested in to stay up-to-date on jobs and events.
- Read reviews and contact other students who have worked for a particular employer
- Tufts has BIG INTERVIEW
- Big Interview is a platform that allows you to do mock/practice interviews and record your answers to watch and listen to how you answer key typical questions. Practice (and aloud practice in particular) is very important to improve interviewing. You can make an appointment with the Career Center to do mock interviews as well.
- As Tufts students you can take courses on learning platforms for free
- Access 16,000+ expert-led courses on subjects as varied as learning a new software language to a deep dive into tools such as Excel or learning a skill like having tough conversations. Anyone living, working, or studying in Massachusetts can request a Boston Public Library ecard and get FREE access to LinkedIn Learning!
- Coming soon: the ability to take courses through Udemy for free as a Tufts student. Watch for notification from Tufts.
- Tufts alumni are a great resource for advice on everything. There are great ways to find them.
- Join the HERD
- Join the Tufts University Career Network on Linkedin
- Use your own network, e.g., professors, classmates, to introduce you to others – use the Tufts Linkedin Page and click on Alumni
- Recruiting timelines vary by industry. It is important to know when the companies you are interested in generally do their hiring.
- Finance, Consulting, Tech and certain Engineering industries hire for full-time and interns in the fall for start dates in the spring and summer
- Non-profits and Start-ups often hire late in the year April and beyond as they can not plan their hiring needs 6 months ahead
- Students should create targeted resumes and cover letters for each job (different cover letter) and/or job type (different resume)
- See https://careers.tufts.edu/channels/writing-resumes-cover-letters/ for more information and examples
- The Career Center Does Walk-in Hours Daily
- Career Lab M-F 12-2 pm in the Career Center
- Finance/Consulting Walk-in Hours
- Engineering/Tech Walk-in Hours
- Wednesday 1-2:30 TBD
- Thursday 3-5 Halligan 114
- The Career Center has a YouTube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TuftsCareerServices/playlists
- Learn valuable “how to” information from past workshops and talks
- Listen to alumni and employer panels
- Access information on best practices in career development
- You don’t need to know what you want to do or even what questions you should ask to speak with a Career Advisor.
- Make an appointment through Handshake, and we will meet you wherever you are in your career development.