When you think of impacting patient care outcomes and medicine, do you only think of going to medical school? According to the Tufts Pre-Health Advising office, there is a notable increase in the amount of students at Tufts who are interested in pre-medical studies since the COVID-19 pandemic began, and this interest has only continued to increase as many evaluate their career options in the medical field. Similarly, admissions deans throughout the country have also attested to the influence of the COVID-19 pandemic on the abundant number of applications for their highly selective finite slots. Yet, with this record interest in practicing medicine on the rise, there are still a great many students who tend to overlook the variety of different career fields in which an individual can make an impact in the healthcare system.
Nurse Practitioner is an increasingly popular choice for those who want to make an impact in medicine and direct patient care with an accredited Master’s degree program, which can be a more affordable option for those who may be overwhelmed at the cost and length of a traditional MD program. In fact, according to the US Department of Labor, the demand for Nurse Practitioners and similar occupations is projected to grow 45 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.
What Does It Take to Be a Nurse Practitioner (NP)?
- Working conditions of a Nurse Practitioner – Explore Health Careers.org
- 5 Steps to Becoming a Nurse Practitioner – NurseOrg.com
- A Nurse Practitioner’s Scope of Practice in the US – NurseSource.org
What is the difference between a Nurse Practitioner and a Physician (MD)?
Job Outlook & Salary for Nurse Practitioners
- Job & Salary Outlook for Nurse Practitioners – US Department of Labor
- Nurse Practitioner Salary Guide 2021 – NurseJournal.Org
- Salary by Certification for Nurse Practitioners – Payscale.com
- Profiles of Nurses Leading Innovation
- Videos of Nurse Practitioners on the Job
- Real Nurses, Real Stories
- Scholarships for Students Pursuing Nursing Degrees
- Scholarship & Funding Resources by American Association of Colleges of Nursing
For next steps, you can also visit The Herd, our flash mentoring database, and set up career conversations with Tufts alumni who work as a Nurse Practitioners to further investigate this career path.