Dear Employer Partners,
Happy spring, and happy Earth Month! Our students are back from Spring Recess and getting back into the swing of classes, which will end on May 2nd. We request that all employers avoid heavy programming during our Reading Period and Final Exam Weeks that will take place from May 3rd – May 13th, 2022.
May 2nd – Classes end
May 3rd-5th – Reading Period
May 6th-13th – Final Examinations
May 16th-20th – Senior Week
May 22nd – Commencement
Enjoy the budding flowers, and as always, feel free to reach out to us to discuss your recruiting needs.
Employer Relations Team
Supporting the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and The School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts
- Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator, Employer Relations
☕ Coming Soon: Summer 2022 Jumbos4Jumbos – May 16 – August 31, 2022
Jumbos4Jumbos is an opportunity for Tufts alumni to offer projects and micro internships that will provide current students with exposure to an industry or with a project that will allow them to build new skills such as data analysis, marketing, project planning, etc.
The program will be managed via our student-alumni flash-mentoring platform, The Herd, under Projects. The site will make the process seamless and alumni will be able to self-manage and monitor the process from beginning to end.
Employers with traditional full-time positions and summer internships (remote or in-person) can still post those positions on our Handshake site for all our students and alumni to access and apply for per our usual process.
Tufts Arts, Communications & Media Networking Night on March 31st, 2022 was a success! We had 20 professional volunteers and ~65 students in attendance. Here are just a few quotations from our students about the event:
“I really liked being able to ask specific questions to the volunteers. It was extremely helpful and insightful.”
“It was really comfortable and not super intimidating which I appreciated. I really enjoyed the range of people to talk to and the casual style.”
This event would not have been possible without our employers’ participation and for that, we are very grateful!
🐘 Quick Poll for Employers: In-Person or Virtual Engagement for Next Year – Please take 5 minutes to complete!
As we think about shifting work norms and plan for future recruiting events at Tufts, we want to hear from you. Much of our current programming remains remote, including our twice-yearly Career Fairs.
Does the virtual format of our career fairs suit you and your company’s needs, or would you prefer to return to in-person events? We would appreciate hearing your thoughts by completing this quick poll – this will take less than 5 minutes to complete.
💻 Job Offer Timeline Updates
As the spring recruitment season is in full swing, we wanted to share the job offer guidelines posted on our website. We developed these guidelines using best practices outlined by our professional organization The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) and hope that it is helpful as both students and employers make final decisions on extending offers to candidates.
Some factors that employers should keep in mind as they establish timelines for students to provide their offer decisions by including the following:
- Housing — Does the student have enough time to research housing costs and availability?
- Proximity to graduation — Does the student have time to explore a wide range of options in advance of graduation?
- Time to make offers to other students if initial offers are not accepted — Will the student pool be sharply decreased by a delay?
- Prior experience with the candidate — Does the student believe a prior internship will lead to a job offer?
- Impact of technology — How quickly can offers be extended along with offer details, such as salary, benefits, and bonuses?
The Career Center team works closely with students around the offer negotiation process, so please reach out to us if you have any questions in advance. The full details on recommended dates and timelines are listed on the Employer Policies section of the Tufts Career Center website.
🗞 Tufts in the News
Highlighted articles about Tufts University:
- An Early Look at the Undergraduate Class of 2026 | TuftsNow
- Historian Erika Lee to Deliver Commencement Address for Class of 2022 | TuftsNow
- Tufts Physician-Researcher Wins Prestigious Medical Award | TuftsNow
- On Match Day, It’s Ready, Set, Match for Medical Students | TuftsNow
- Tufts Swimmers Take Two National Championships | TuftsNow
📖 What We’re Reading
- Supporting Students in Crisis: A Discussion on Student Mental Health & the Career Services Center (jedfoundation.org)
- Connecting Career and Mental Health Counseling: Integrating Theory and Practice (counseling.org)
- Access To Mental Health Services Affects Our Career Income (forbes.com)
- How to Attract and Support Neurodiverse Talent (shrm.org)
- Why More Employers Are Recruiting Teachers (shrm.org)
📨Team Contact Information by Industry
If you are interested in connecting with Tufts Career Center, please send us an email. We will respond to you as quickly as possible and look forward to hearing from you. Our staff members support undergraduate and graduate students and alumni in the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts only.
Please check out our Employer Relations website for all information including policies (e.g. offers to students) and other great information about engaging with Tufts University.
Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Healthcare, Life Sciences, & Environmental Science
- Non-Profit, Education, & Social Justice
- Engineering, Technology & Physical Sciences
- Partnership Programs @ Tufts
Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Arts, Entertainment, Communications, & Media (Creative Careers)
- Sports & Leisure
- Finance, Consulting, Entrepreneurship & Business
- Government, Politics, International Affairs, & Law
Willa Mayo, Recruitment Coordinator, Employer Relations
- Main point of contact for Employer Relations Team
- Assisting with virtual events, interviews, job/internship/co-op postings
- Career Fair Events
- Handshake Questions
- Newsletter Content & Distribution