Dear Employer Partners,
Happy spring! It has been a busy season, and please join us in congratulating our Class of ’22 graduates who will be wrapping up their Tufts experience this month. Historian Erika Lee will be giving this year’s commencement address on May 22nd. Lee is one of the nation’s leading historians of immigration and the Asian American experience and is the author of four award-winning books.
As the semester wraps up, the Employer Relations team is already beginning to make plans for the Fall term. We will have more information to share with you in July. Meanwhile, if your company is interested in hosting any On Campus Interviews (OCIs), either in-person or virtually, we welcome you to sign up for a date on Handshake starting July 1st.
Enjoy the sunshine!
Employer Relations Team
Supporting the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and The School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts
- Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator, Employer Relations
🌟AAPI Heritage Month
The U.S. celebrates Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month each May. The first celebration began as “Asian/Pacific American Heritage Week” on May 4, 1979, when President Jimmy Carter signed Proclamation 4650 to commemorate the contributions and accomplishments of Asian/Pacific Americans. In 1990, Congress expanded the observance from a week to a month. In 1992, President George H.W. Bush passed Public Law 102-540 designating the month of May as Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month.
The Tufts Career Center has put together some resources for your reference – see them here.
🐘 Quick Poll for Employers: In-Person or Virtual Engagement for Next Year – Please take 5 minutes to complete!
As we think about shifting work norms and plan for future recruiting events at Tufts, we want to hear from you. Much of our current programming remains remote, including our twice-yearly Career Fairs.
Does the virtual format of our career fairs suit you and your company’s needs, or would you prefer to return to in-person events? We would appreciate hearing your thoughts by completing this quick poll – this will take less than 5 minutes to complete.
☕ Employer Coffee Chat Recap
In March the Employer Relations Team hosted a 1-hour coffee chat for employer partners with Andrew Shiotani, Director of Tufts International Center. The conversation focused on the ins and outs of hiring international students for jobs and internships. The slide deck for this event can be accessed here.
We plan on holding another coffee chat in August and are open to ideas for topics! Please fill out this quick poll to share any topics you might be interested in learning more about this summer.
💻 First Destination Survey Outcomes
Each year the Tufts graduating undergraduate class participates in a Senior exit survey, through which the Career Center gathers information on where students have obtained jobs, are attending graduate school, or have other plans or employment. The class of 2021 consisted of 1,314 students.
This data is compiled and shared via the Destination Outcomes page of our site. The Career Center is proud to announce the outcomes for the class of 2021 — Based on an 89% knowledge rate, 95% of the undergraduate population were either employed, enrolled in graduate school, or participating in service or a fellowship program within 6 months of graduation.
Out of 832 companies that hired Tufts graduates, the following companies hired 5 or more Tufts students in 2021: Accenture, Amazon, Deloitte, EY Parthenon, Mass General Hospital, Microsoft, MITRE, Morgan Stanley, Tufts Medical Center, and Tufts University.
The remaining information regarding employment and graduate school outcomes can be found on our website.
🗞 Tufts in the News
Highlighted articles about Tufts University:
- From Identity to Inspiration: Reflections on Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month| TuftsNow
- Climate Leaders Call for Urgent Action, Focus on Equity | TuftsNow
- Why Providing Humanitarian Aid to Ukraine is Challenging – and What to Do About It | TuftsNow
- Tufts at Tech Turns 10 | TuftsNow
- Tufts Awards 35 Grants to Support Local Initiatives | TuftsNow
📖 What We’re Reading
- USCIS Announces Extension for Expiring Work Permits (shrm.org)
- Keys to Hiring New College Grads: Providing Connections, Support, Advancement (shrm.org)
- Benefits Jump as a Reason to Join or Stay with an Employer (shrm.org)
- Odds of Getting Laid Off Are at Historic Lows in Tightest Labor Market in 50 Years (wsj.com)
- How Typical Recruiting Mistakes Undermine Diversity Goals (shrm.org)
📨Team Contact Information by Industry
If you are interested in connecting with Tufts Career Center, please send us an email. We will respond to you as quickly as possible and look forward to hearing from you. Our staff members support undergraduate and graduate students and alumni in the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts only.
Please check out our Employer Relations website for all information including policies (e.g. offers to students) and other great information about engaging with Tufts University.
Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Healthcare, Life Sciences, & Environmental Science
- Non-Profit, Education, & Social Justice
- Engineering, Technology & Physical Sciences
- Partnership Programs @ Tufts
Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Arts, Entertainment, Communications, & Media (Creative Careers)
- Sports & Leisure
- Finance, Consulting, Entrepreneurship & Business
- Government, Politics, International Affairs, & Law
Willa Mayo, Recruitment Coordinator, Employer Relations
- Main point of contact for Employer Relations Team
- Assisting with virtual events, interviews, job/internship/co-op postings
- Career Fair Events
- Handshake Questions
- Newsletter Content & Distribution