Dear Employer Partners,
Happy Black History Month from the Tufts Employer Relations team! The semester is kicking into gear with our Virtual and In-Person Career Fairs this month. For those who have registered for our in-person fair, we look forward to seeing you!
As always, if you have upcoming job or internship opportunities to recruit for at Tufts this spring, please reach out to the Employer Relations team member associated with your industry sector. We would be happy to connect with you about your recruiting needs.
Employer Relations Team
Supporting the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and The School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts
- Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator, Employer Relations
🌻 Happy Black History Month
Black History Month is an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing their central role in U.S. history. Also known as African American History Month, the event grew out of “Negro History Week,” the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month. Other countries around the world, including Canada and the United Kingdom, also devote a month to celebrating Black history. More information about Black History Month can be found here.
At Tufts, The Africana Center is one of eight identity-based centers within the Division of Student Diversity and Inclusion and has been at Tufts for more than 50 years. The Africana Center provides access to academic and social resources and a wide range of activities for students of African descent. At Tufts, the Africana Center celebrates black history with programming during Black Legacy Month. Learn more about our Africana Center and our 8 identity-based centers here.
We have put together some resources for employers as you consider planning events within your organization throughout the month of February.
👋 Engineering Student-Alumni Networking Event – February 16, 6:30-8:30 pm EST
The Engineering Student-Alumni Networking event will be held on February 16, 2023 from 6:30pm-8:30pm in Alumnae Lounge, 40 Talbot Ave Medford, MA 02155. This popular annual event, now in its 18th year, allows students to chat with alumni and alumni to network with each other. Please help us by encouraging your alumni from Tufts to attend. It is good PR for your organization, fun for alumni, and very important for our students. While not a recruiting event, we know that connections made here can yield excellent results. This event also serves as the kick-off to Tufts Engineering Week. Learn more and register for the event here.
💻 Engineering Interview Day for Employers – February 23, 1-5 pm EST – Deadline to sign up is Feb. 10
Tufts University will be organizing an Interview Day on February 23, 2023 from 1 pm – 5 pm EST during our Engineering Week. This event will take place via Zoom, and students will interview with recruiters in breakout rooms managed by the Tufts Career Center.
The deadline for registering for this event is Friday, February 10, 2023.
🎨Biotech and Life Sciences Career Fair
In collaboration with Brandeis University and Boston University, Tufts will be hosting a virtual Biotech & Life Sciences Career Fair. This event will be held on Handshake on Friday, March 3rd, 2023 from 1pm – 4pm EST. This is a great opportunity to recruit students for your open full-time positions as well as open internships/co-ops for the upcoming summer.
The cost of attending the career fair is $200 and you will be able have as many representatives attend as you would like to cover both 30-minute information sessions and 10-minute one-on-one virtual appointments with students across the three schools.
If you are interested in participating in this event, please email Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations at email@example.com.
💼 Communications & Media Networking Night
We are looking for Communications and Media employers to participate in our interactive Networking Night, which will be held virtually on Zoom Wednesday, March 29th, 2023 from 6:00 pm-8:15 pm.
If you are interested in participating, please email Kate Rettstadt – Assistant Director, Employer Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Last spring, we had 25 companies participate in this virtual networking event. We hope you consider joining us to help Tufts students learn about careers in communications and media. Thank you!
🗞 Tufts in the News
Highlighted articles about Tufts University:
- Honoring Black Heritage Through Research and Practice (TuftsNow)
- The Black Diplomats Who Broke the Color Barrier (TuftsNow)
- Three Students Selected as MLK Student Voices Award Winners (TuftsNow)
- Local Nonprofit Organizations Invited to Apply for Tufts Community Grants (TuftsNow)
- Two Tufts Faculty Elected to World’s Largest Scientific Society (TuftsNow)
📖 What We’re Reading
- Liberty Mutual’s Centralized DEI Team Provides Alignment, Clarity, and Operating Rhythm (naceweb.org)
- IBM Accelerate Reinvents Virtual Learning Opportunities for Underrepresented College Students (naceweb.org)
- Report: Inflation, Labor Shortages Top HR Concerns in 2023 (shrm.org)
- 12 Jobs That Will Definitely Survive the Next 20 Years (and Even Be in Demand)(financebuzz.com)
- The new year brings new tech layoffs (bostonglobe.com)
📨 Team Contact Information by Industry
If you are interested in connecting with Tufts Career Center, please send us an email. We will respond to you as quickly as possible and look forward to hearing from you. Our staff members support undergraduate and graduate students and alumni in the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts only.
Please check out our Employer Relations website for all information including policies (e.g. offers to students) and other great information about engaging with Tufts University.
Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Healthcare, Life Sciences, & Environmental Science
- Non-Profit, Education, & Social Justice
- Engineering, Technology & Physical Sciences
- Partnership Programs @ Tufts
Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Arts, Entertainment, Communications, & Media (Creative Careers)
- Sports & Leisure
- Finance, Consulting, Entrepreneurship & Business
- Government, Politics, International Affairs, & Law
Willa Mayo, Recruitment Coordinator, Employer Relations
- Main point of contact for Employer Relations Team
- Assisting with virtual events, interviews, job/internship/co-op postings
- Career Fair Events
- Handshake Questions
- Newsletter Content & Distribution