Dear Employer Partners,
Happy spring! Our students are back from Spring Recess and getting back into the swing of classes, which will end on May 1st. We request that all employers avoid heavy programming during our Reading Period and Final Exam weeks, which will take place from May 2nd – May 12th, 2023.
May 1st – Classes end
May 2nd-4th – Reading Period
May 5th-12th – Final Examinations
May 15th-19th – Senior Week
May 21st – Commencement
Enjoy the sunshine, and as always, feel free to reach out to us to discuss your recruiting needs.
Employer Relations Team
Supporting the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and The School of Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA) at Tufts
- Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator, Employer Relations
👩 Coming Soon: Summer 2023 Jumbos4Jumbos (Projects Deadline: Friday, April 28th)
Jumbos4Jumbos is an opportunity for Tufts alumni from the School of Arts & Sciences, School of Engineering, and the School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts to offer virtual projects and micro internships that will provide current students with exposure to an industry or an opportunity to build new skills such as data analysis, marketing, etc. The program is managed via The Herd, where alumni and students engage in flash mentoring conversations. The site makes the process seamless, and alumni are able to self-manage and monitor the process from beginning to end.
We hope that alumni with virtual projects will consider offering them during the upcoming summer break between May 15 – August 31, 2023. Projects should conclude before the beginning of the fall semester.
Employers with traditional full-time positions and summer internships (remote or in-person) can still post those positions on our Handshake platform for students and alumni to access and apply for per our usual process.
You will find information about the program along with an FAQ and full guide on our Employer Relations site.
🎨 Quick Employer Poll – What do employers require in a Portfolio Review for Arts & Creative Roles?
Greetings to all employers in the creative arts industries!
In preparation for our Portfolio Review Day at The School of Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts next month, we are hoping to gather information about the creative industry’s portfolio requirements across our employer partners. This information will assist us as we prepare our students for work in various roles in your organizations. Learn more about SMFA undergraduate and graduate courses and programs here.
Please complete this quick poll to share your feedback.
This poll should only take 10 minutes to complete and the results will be shared in our May Employer Newsletter.
💼 Meet with Tufts University – SHRM Talent Conference in Orlando, FL from April 16 – 19, 2023
Will you be attending the SHRM Talent Conference and Expo in Orlando, FL this April?
Sue Atkins, Associate Director of Employer Relations will be in attendance – we welcome you to introduce yourself and connect!
If you are interested in setting up a time to meet – please send an email to Susan.Atkins@tufts.edu.
Learn more about ways to partner with Tufts University in our Employer Brochure.
☕ Employer Coffee Hour – Wednesday, May 3, 1pm-2pm EST on Zoom
This month’s Employer Coffee Hour will feature Dovie King, Assistant Director and Pre-Law Advisor at the Tufts Career Center.
Dovie will discuss resources for pre-law students, share information about the strong alumni network of Tufts legal professionals, and talk about how she supports the pre-law community at Tufts. Please register here and let us know if you have any questions.
Dovie King attended law school, passed the bar exam in Massachusetts, New York, and California, and had a rewarding career as a lawyer for more than 20 years. She taught legal studies courses to undergraduates and advised students at Harvard Law School and Thomas Jefferson School of Law about careers in public interest, international human rights, government, the judiciary, in-house and private practice. Her experience includes publishing articles, speaking at conferences, and serving on the Board of Directors of the American Constitution Society – San Diego Lawyer Chapter, La Raza Lawyers, Affordable Housing Advocates, and the American Bar Association’s Immigration Justice Project. Currently, she is a member of the Women’s Bar Association and formerly chaired the Human Rights, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee in her town. She earned her BA at Brown University and JD at Northeastern University School of Law.
🗞 Tufts in the News
Highlighted articles about Tufts University:
- Early Impressions of the Students Admitted to the Tufts Undergraduate Class of 2027 (TuftsNow)
- Tufts Earns Gold Rating for Sustainability | Tufts Now
- College sports teams partner with chronically ill kids through Team IMPACT – CBS Boston (cbsnews.com)
- Jumbos Win Three NCAA Swimming Titles (TuftsNow)
- New AI-Powered Drone Technology Aids Elephant Conservation (TuftsNow)
- Club Leaders Advance Diversity in Computer Science (TuftsNow)
📖 What We’re Reading
- OSHA Given Authority to Grant Protection to Undocumented Workers (shrm.org)
- 5 Ways to Reduce Gender Inequality at Work (shrm.org)
- Salary Transparency Laws and Career Centers (naceweb.org)
- Emerging Tech Skills That Should Be on HR’s Radar (shrm.org)
📨 Team Contact Information by Industry
The Employer Relations team welcomes your outreach and connection with us. We will respond to you as quickly as possible and look forward to hearing from you. Our staff members support undergraduate and graduate students as well as alumni across the three schools: The School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA) at Tufts.
Please check out our Employer Relations website for all information including policies (e.g. offers to students) and other great information about engaging with Tufts University.
Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Healthcare, Life Sciences, & Environmental Science
- Non-Profit, Education, & Social Justice
- Engineering, Technology & Physical Sciences
- Partnership Programs @ Tufts
Kate Rettstadt, Assistant Director, Employer Relations
- Arts, Entertainment, Communications, & Media (Creative Careers)
- Sports & Leisure
- Finance, Consulting, Entrepreneurship & Business
- Government, Politics, International Affairs, & Law
Willa Mayo, Recruitment Coordinator, Employer Relations
- Main point of contact for Employer Relations Team
- Assisting with virtual events, interviews, job/internship/co-op postings
- Career Fair Events
- Handshake Questions
- Newsletter Content & Distribution