Here’s a quick rundown of some upcoming events, internships, and job listings for the Government/International Affairs/Policy career community.
Upcoming Programs/Events–Visit links to learn more
- Jumbos4Jumbos— runs May 15, 2023 to Aug 31, 2023 is a program connecting undergraduate students to short term, virtual projects/micro-internships/gigs that are overseen by Tufts alums who want to give back. You have the opportunity to gain career readiness skills as a result of participating.
- Consulting Demystified, Hosted by the Hispanic & Latino Network: What is it that consultants actually do? virtual- May 23 @ 7pm
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Webinar: hosting its first-ever, national recruitment webinar in celebration of LGBTQIA+ communities. Will provide an overview of federal hiring process, finding/applying to federal jobs & building a federal resume. Virtual- May 24 @ 2pm
Other Career related Events:
- Consulting: Early Application Deadlines for McKinsey, Bain & BCG: Are you interested in Government/Consulting? Three of the largest management consulting firms – McKinsey, Bain, and BCG have June/July 2023 deadlines for internships and full-time positions with 2024 start dates. Basically, sophomores and juniors should start now (May/June 2023) if want to be considered by these firms
- Rock Your LinkedIn Profile– Optimize your Profile by watching this Tufts Career Center Resource.
- The 23rd annual Public Policy Leadership Conference will be held October 12-15, 2023 on the Harvard Kennedy School campus in Cambridge, MA. Learn what it is to study policy in a graduate school environment and have opportunities to connect with current HKS students, faculty, and staff. Deadline to apply: June 30
- UNA USA Fellowship for Unpaid UN Internships (undergrads/recent grads)- The award is up to $3,000 per month, for up to four months, for full time internships Deadline: Rolling
- UNESCO Silk Roads Youth Research Grant Deadline: May 31, 2023
- APSIA Fellowships & Scholarships listings
- Teach For America Ignite Fellowship Info Session @ May 31 @ 4pm
- U.S. House of Representatives Summer Internship Opportunities Deadline: various deadlines starting May 22 to rolling, apply asap
- The Fund for the Public Interest has summer campaign job opportunities and is seeking hard-working individuals with a passion for social change to fill citizen outreach and Field Manager positions across the country this summer.
- Intern, Congressional & Government Affairs@ Center for Strategic & Int’l Studies Deadline: Rolling Admissions
- Are you interested in jobs/internships in Capitol Hill, Government Affairs, Legislative, & Policy, Communications, Social Media, & Development, Research, Writing, & Journalism? Check out Tufts Career Center’s subscription to get access here: Opportunities in Public affairs
- Civil Society Unit, United Nations Dept of Global Communications internship (unpaid)– Full time/hybrid/Rolling admissions If anyone has any questions or seeking tips on applying please contact Tufts Career Center Advisor: Kelly.email@example.com
- TurnUp Civic and Youth Activism Remote Internship— Fully remote/Rolling Admissions
- US-Asia Institute Internships–undergrads/recent grads, NonUS Citizens are encouraged to apply. Deadline: June 10, 2023 for Fall
Additional Listings —Visit links for additional info and requirements
- APSIA’s (Assoc of Professional Schools of International Affairs) Spring 2023 Virtual Open Houses Interested in a specific topic of study or want to learn more about fields within International Affairs? Virtual open house topics include: National Security and Global Threats – May 23 at 2:00PM; Global Communications – May 25 at 4:00PM; Human Rights, Social Justice, and Law – May 31 at 2:00PM
- Council on Foreign Relations– Research Associate, Geoeconomics, CFR’s David Rockefeller Studies Program is one of the country’s largest foreign policy think tanks, must have interest in international finance and economics and how it overlaps with geopolitics
- U.S. House of Representatives, Staff Opportunities
- U.S. Senate, Staff Opportunities, multiple experience levels
- National Bureau of Economic Research, Research Assistant positions
- The Aspen Institute, Program Associate- Policy & Research
An important note about hiring timelines for current seniors: It can be challenging to ascertain whether a position is meant for YOU, i.e., someone graduating in May 2023 OR if it’s intended for someone who can start much sooner, i.e., in less than a month. If possible, you could consider reaching out to the prospective employer to ask if 2023 grads can apply. If you’re unsure, you might still choose to apply and hope they keep your application on file, but understand that they may want someone who is able to start earlier. At the very least, add the organization to your “list of employers to revisit,” because they may post opportunities in the future that better match with your timeline.