Medicine & Mental Health
This subgroup covers a variety of careers that directly involve providing patient care. Individuals who pursue medicine and careers in mental health are generally interested in working in professional roles that are part of a healthcare team working withing hospitals, clinics, non-profits, and within private practice. Popular health careers for exploration at Tufts can range from pathways that focus on becoming a physician, dentist, or veterinarian, but pursuing a career in applied medicine might also involve providing direct care as an occupational therapist, a nurse, a clinical psychologist, an optometrist, and many other roles. Explore this subgroup to learn about the vast opportunities that exist to apply your knowledge of science and healthcare concerns to making a difference in healthcare outcomes.
Learn & Explore
- Tufts Health Professions Advising— Visit the Health Professions Advising site to learn about scheduling an appointment with a Pre-Health advisor, sign up for Pre-Health eNews, and learn about Group Advising sessions.
- Explore Health Careers — Everything you want to know about a wide variety of health careers.
- Careers In Medicine — Resource provided by the American Association of Medical Colleges
- CNA Classes — Information on becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant, including where to find certification courses, career path information, salaries, and more
- Nurse Without Borders — Detailed info about nursing career paths and options for those who are interested in volunteer nursing, whether locally or internationally
- Careers in Psychology – Overview of career paths for this popular major
- Career Options with a bachelor’s degree in psychology
- Applied Psychology Careers – List of interdisciplinary career paths and resources by the American Psychological Association
- Autism and Neurodevelopment — Yale School of Medicine research groups focusing on social brain development and developmental disorders.
- Cardiac Medical Device Careers — For those interested in the medical device industry.
Recommended databases and sample fellowship & internship programs
- MA Hospital Careers — Matches healthcare professionals with MA hospitals.
- Health Care Source — Job board with links to health care facilities in the US
- Massachusetts Department of Mental Health
- NIH Summer Internship Program
- Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- Weill Cornell Medicine Dept of Pediatrics Summer Internship Programs
- Gates Summer Internship Program
- Learn CPR — Classes offered in general HeartSaver CPR certification.
- American Medical Association
- American Student Dental Association
- Physician Assistant Education Association
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- American Psychological Association