Community Health & Public Policy
This subgroup is for those individuals who want to use their creative problem-solving and analytical skills to effect change on the healthcare environment. Students who are interested in understanding the laws and regulatory changes that impact healthcare issues domestically and globally may find resources in this section. Individuals interested in this career path might pursue jobs or internships in health services administration, program evaluation and development, research and analysis of health policies, food systems and nutrition, legislative and lobbying work, or working directly with health finance organizations, medical practice groups and health care facilities.
Learn & Explore
- Tufts Department of Community Health — Visit the CH department to learn more about the CH major at Tufts and the internship requirements.
- Types of work settings for those interested in Public Health
- What is a Community Health Center? Learn about the role of community health centers in addressing health equity and listen to their webinar series that showcases many career options.
- Health Equity in Action — The Office of Health Equity for the CDC created a series of short informative videos on the topics of health equity, social determinants of health, racism and health, and intersectionality.
- International Food Policy Research Institute – Browse topics on food systems and sustainability.
- TuftScope — Journal addresses different aspects of healthcare, bioethics, public health, policy, and active citizenship.
Recommended databases and sample fellowship & internship programs
- Academic Public Health Corps (APHC) — State-funded program that hires current students every semester for short-term internships supporting public health and advancing health equity across Massachusetts.
- Boston Congress of Public Health (BCPH) Leadership Summer Institute —Intensive 4-day summer training program designed to give a glimpse into the dynamic & evolving world of public health and social justice.
- Career Opportunities at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health — Professions within DPH bureaus and programs span a wide range of public health and health care services and include positions as Researchers, Data analysts, Maternal and child health specialists, Health equity and outreach strategists, and Inspectors
- UCLA Public Health Scholars Training Program
- Lee Kum Sheung Center for Health and Happiness Summer Internship Program
- Tufts Peer Health Collaborative Mini Grants — Encourages the development of creative health promotion initiatives by providing funding for mini grants that promote and improve the quality of student health. Awards range from $50-$200.
- Massachusetts Food Systems Caucus — Established to support and grow the local food and address areas of food access and food insecurity, farmland, and economic development.
- American Public Health Association
- Global Health Council
Related Tufts Organizations
- Tufts Food Rescue Collaborative — Partnership created to minimize food waste at Tufts while at the same time addressing food insecurity in the local host community.
- Tufts Timmy Global Health — In conjunction with national nonprofit Timmy Global, seeks to “build healthy futures” in profoundly underserved indigenous communities
- Tufts Peer Health Collaborative — Comprised of different Tufts-led student health organizations on campus, including Tufts Public Health Society; Pre-Health; Pre-Med, Pre-Dental, Pre-PA and MAPS societies; Ears for Peers; Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS); KDSAP (Kidney Disease Screening Awareness; Primary Care Progress; and other programs
- Tufts Project Share — Focuses on reducing disparities among Tufts and local communities by advancing access to health care and providing resources and education in support of the universal right to health.