Job and internship opportunities in the Washington, DC area focused on government, public relations, advocacy, and media. Log in with …
This section is vast — from local, state to federal government there are numerous opportunities. Specifically in regards to the federal government, there are positions in virtually every field. Our government is the nation’s largest employer and, with nearly two million civilian employees, chances are good there are jobs available that match your skills and interests. From biologists to statisticians, the range of professionals who work in federal agencies is expansive, and the government is looking for a diversity of talented and dedicated employees.
We encourage you to check out these recommended resources for career exploration, internship and job searches.
Learn & Explore
- Intro to Political Risk Consulting — overview including sample employers
- GoGovernment.org — Part of the Partnership for Public Service, offers helpful career guides and information about the federal hiring process
- Government vs. Private Sector Jobs
- Writing a Federal Resume
- Overview of the Federal Job Application Process
- Federal Government Internships & Fellowships Guide
- A-Z Index of US Government Departments & Agencies
- Guide to Background Checks and Government Security Clearances
- Tufts IR Careers — Career resource guides from the Tufts International Relations Program
- List of Congressional Committees
- House of Representatives — Directory of Members
- Senate — Directory of Members
- Foreign Service Officer Information and Career Path
- Workforce Federal Recruitment and Referral Program — Connects federal and private sector employers with college students/grads with disabilities eager to demonstrate their abilities in the workplace through summer or permanent jobs
- Foreign Service Officer practice Test (FSOT) Practice Test — Practice test that covers the Job Knowledge and English Expression portions of the Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) for State Department careers
- Internships for Undergrads — View internship books for 3,000 organizations with positions in 14 sectors.
- National League of Cities — Search for employment opportunities within municipalities
- American Friends Service Committee — Organization that includes people of various faiths who are committed to social justice, peace, and humanitarian service. The site provides links to jobs and volunteer opportunities as well as periodicals, newsletters, and news
- EERE Student Competitions — US Dept of Energy-related contests for students that test one’s design, engineering, and knowledge
- Office of Science Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists — US Dept of Energy Programs to assist STEM workers, including undergraduate internships, a graduate fellowship program, and student science competitions
- Office of Nuclear Energy University Program (NEUP) — Details on NEUP through the U.S. DOE, which funds nuclear energy research and equipment upgrades at U.S. colleges and universities, and provides student educational support
- Nuclear Energy Institute — Policy organization of the nuclear tech industry based in DC
- American Political Science Association — Leading professional organization for the study of political science and serves more than 13,000 members in more than 80 countries
- Where do Tufts Economics majors intern?
- Tom Manatos Jobs — Job and internship listings for those interested in careers in politics or government.
- USAJobs — Click on the Students and Recent Graduates link for internship and entry-level opportunities with the Federal Government
- Federal Internship Finder
- Virtual Student Federal Service (VSFS) internships — Remote internships working on unclassified projects
- USPTO — Federal jobs aimed at protecting US intellectual property rights at home and abroad
- Opportunities in Public Affairs — Opportunities in the Washington, DC area focused on government, policy, research/writing, and development.
- Mass.gov — Comprehensive listing of current state government openings in Massachusetts. Postings including jobs for administrators, social workers, analysts, interns, educational specialists, and more
- Global Jobs — Jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities in NGOs, think tanks, government, and the private sector.
- Roll Call Jobs — Job board from the Newspaper of Capitol Hill
- United States Senate — Learn about job opportunities, internships and fellowships in the senate
- The House of Representatives — Employment opportunities within the House of Representatives
- EMILY’s List — Internship designed to gain political/campaign experience and for those interested in a politics career
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities Summer Internships — Seeks to bring diverse perspectives to state and federal policy debates, internships include Federal Legislation, Health Policy, Housing Policy and Outreach Campaigns
- US Department of State Careers — Includes info about Interns & Fellows, Pathways Internship Programs and Student Internship Programs
- U.S. Department of Energy — Employment opportunities, including student programs, internships, and entry-level positions
Sample Internship, Fellowship & Professional Associations
- Congressional Women’s Policy Institute Internships
- Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Leadership Institute Internships
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Internship
- Morris K. Udall Foundation Summer Congressional Internship Program — Provides Native American students with experience in legislative process, congressional matters, and governmental proceedings
- Minority Educational Institution Student Partnership Program Internships — U.S. Department of Energy’s summer positions that involve scientific research or a focus on policy, business/ government relations
- US Dept of Treasury Student Internship Program
- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) — Internships, Fellowships and Scholarships through US Dept of Energy
- Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies Internship and Fellowship — Provides opportunities for Asian Pacific Americans to participate in the political process
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe Max Kampelman Fellowship — Paid fellows work in political, military, economic and environmental affairs
- William D. Clarke, Sr. Diplomatic Security Fellowship — two year grad fellowship to pursue a master’s degree and career as Diplomatic Security Service Special Agent/Foreign Service.
- Office of Fossil Energy’s Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program — 10-week summer research fellowship program for students in STEM majors
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Public Policy Fellowship
- Capital Fellows Program — 10 to 11 month public policy fellowships in CA state government
- Democracy Summer Fellows — Learn tactics in voter registration and political organizing
- Friends Committee on National Legislation — Fellows gain first-hand knowledge of the legislative process, organizing, and communications
- Fulbright Grants — Approx. 8,000 competitive merit-based grants awarded annually
- US Dept of Treasury Junior Fellowships
- Tufts Office of Scholarship & Fellowship Opportunities
- Young Government Leaders (membership) — Community of young aspiring government leaders that has local chapters and provides professional development activities, networking events, and a mentorship program
- Capitol Hill Networking Groups — Social and professional networking groups for those in DC
- Women in Government Relations – For those who have responsibilities and interests in the field of government relations and/or public affairs