This section is vast — from local, state to federal government there are numerous opportunities. Specifically in regards to the federal government, there are positions in virtually every field. Our government is the nation’s largest employer and, with nearly two million civilian employees, chances are good there are jobs available that match your skills and interests. From biologists to statisticians, the range of professionals who work in federal agencies is expansive, and the government is looking for a diversity of talented and dedicated employees.
We encourage you to check out these recommended resources for career exploration, internship and job searches.
Learn & Explore
- GoGovernment.org — Part of the Partnership for Public Service, offers helpful career guides and information on how to apply to government jobs
- Government vs. Private Sector Jobs
- What to Include in a Federal Resume
- How Does the Federal Job Application Process Work?
- Tufts IR Careers — Career resources from the Tufts International Relations Program
- List of Congressional Committees
- House of Representatives — Directory of Members
- Senate — Directory of Members
- American Association for Public Opinion Research — has a career center that includes a variety of research positions. They also maintain a directory of organizations that provide public opinion research services and information
- Foreign Service Officer Information and Career Path
- Info Guide to the Foreign Service Officer Selection Process (PDF)
- Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) Practice Test– practice test that covers the Job Knowledge and English Expression portions of the Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) for State Department careers
- Institute for Humane Studies — Assists undergraduate and graduate students worldwide with an interest in individual liberty. There is information about career workshops, internship programs, grants, summer seminars, and more
- American Friends Service — Organization that includes people of various faiths who are committed to social justice, peace, and humanitarian service. The site provides links to jobs and volunteer opportunities as well as periodicals, newsletters, and news
- EERE Student Competitions – Energy-related contests for students that test one’s design, engineering, and knowledge
- Office of Science Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists – Programs to assist STEM workers, including undergraduate internships, a visiting faculty programs at the DOE laboratories, a graduate fellowship program, and student science competitions
- Office of Nuclear Energy University Program (NEUP) – Details on NEUP through the U.S. DOE, which funds nuclear energy research and equipment upgrades at U.S. colleges and universities, and provides student educational support
- American Political Science Association – leading professional organization for the study of political science and serves more than 13,000 members in more than 80 countries
- Capitol Hill Careers (Tom Manatos) – Job and internship listings for those interested in careers in politics or government. Username: firstname.lastname@example.org; Password: TMJcc20.21
- USAJobs — Click on the Students and Recent Graduates link for internship and entry-level opportunities with the Federal Government
- Opportunities in Public Affairs — Internship opportunities in the Washington, DC area focused on government, public relations, advocacy, and media. Username: TuftsCC; Password: Jumbo
- Internships for Undergrads: View internship books for 3,000 organizations with positions in 14 sectors. Username: TuftsU; Password: GoJumbos, click on Undergraduate
- Mass.gov — Provides a comprehensive listing of current state government openings in Massachusetts. Postings including jobs for administrators, social workers, analysts, interns, educational specialists, and more
- Global Jobs — Jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities in NGOs, think tanks, government, and the private sector.
- RC Jobs – Job board from the Newspaper of Capitol Hill
- United States Senate — Learn about job opportunities, internships and fellowships in the senate
- The House of Representatives — Employment opportunities within the House of Representatives
- EMILY’s List — Jobs and internships with a nonprofit committed to electing pro-choice, Democratic women
- National Council of State Legislatures — Job listing for positions in state legislatures and other public policy jobs. Also includes a video and general information about exploring legislative careers.
- National League of Cities — Search for employment opportunities within municipalities
- HillZoo.com — Search for jobs and internships around Washington
- LobbyingJobs.com — A Dedicated Lobbying Job Board focused on delivering recruitment assistance and lobbying career opportunities for Local, State and Federal Lobbyists, Advocacy, Public Policy, Public Affairs and Government professionals.
- US Department of State — Updates on employment opportunities, including internships and programs for students in the US Department of State.
- U.S. State Department Internship Program
- U.S. Department of Energy – Updates on employment opportunities, including DOE student programs, internships, and entry-level positions
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Internships, Fellowships and Scholarships – Updates on opportunities through the U.S. Department of Energy, EERE, and other organizations
Sample Internship, Fellowship & Experiential Programs
- PPIA Junior Summer Institute (JSI) Fellowship Program — a rigorous academic graduate level preparation program for undergraduate juniors committed to public service careers; the purpose is to prepare students to obtain a Master’s or joint degree in public policy, public administration, international affairs, or a related field
- Minority Educational Institution Student Partnership Program – Information about the U.S. Department of Energy’s summer internship positions that involve scientific research or a focus on policy, business, and government relations
- Office of Fossil Energy’s Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program – 10-week summer internship program that provides opportunities to students who are pursuing degrees in science, technology (IT), engineering, or mathematics
- Congressional Women’s Policy Institute Internships
- Congressional Black Caucus Foundation: Leadership Institute Internships
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute: Congressional Internship
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute: Public Policy Fellowship
- Capital Fellows Program — 10-11-month public policy fellowships in CA state government
- Friends Committee on National Legislation — Fellows work as program assistants, directly with FCNL lobbyists and other senior staff, gaining first-hand knowledge of the legislative process and the organizing and communications work that is necessary for policy change