Career Advising Appointments
Undergraduates, Graduate Students & Alumni: We offer 30 and 60 minute appointments (alumni appointments are 60 minutes in length). If you are a student with a quick question during the academic year, please visit our daily Career Lab or make a Quick Question appointment. 30-minute appointments typically cover these topics:
- Exploring careers and majors and developing career goals.
- Job and internship search strategies including: resumes, cover letters, interviewing, networking, using LinkedIn and conducting an effective search.
- Applying to graduate and professional school. For pre-health advising, visit the Pre-Professional Advising Office website.
Prior to your appointment, we strongly encourage you to review our career guides for answers to common questions, templates for resumes and cover letters, and more.
Schedule an appointment online via Handshake
Follow the instructions below to set up your account and schedule an appointment.
Students: Log into Handshake using your Tufts ID (e.g. jsmith01).
Alumni: You may need to create a new account if you do not have an existing profile.
- Click on Appointments in the left navigation, then click Schedule New Appointment
- Select a Category
- Select an Appointment Type
- Once you select an Appointment Type, you will see the names of available advisors
- You will receive a confirmation email
- Undergrad Student – General Advising or Career Field-Specific Advising (Arts, Communications & Media; Education, Nonprofit & Social Impact; Engineering, Technology & Physical Sciences; Finance, Consulting, Entrepreneurship & Business; Government, Law & International Affairs; Healthcare, Life Sciences & the Environment)
- Pre-Law – Undergrad and Alumni
- Grad Students – Arts, Sciences & Engineering
- Alumni Advising – Undergraduate and Grad School Alumni from Arts, Sciences & Engineering
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to bring to my appointment?We want students to feel like they can come to an appointment even if they do not know exactly what they want to ask. That said, there are some things that are helpful to bring for certain types of appointments:
Resume, CV, Cover Letter, Personal Statement or Other Document Review – Have your document ready to share on screen for review and editing. If you have a phone appointment, please email your document to the career advisor ahead of time. Mock Interview: Be ready to discuss your resume.
No appointments are available within the next 2 weeks. What should I do?New appointment slots are added continually so please check back again. You may very well get lucky and find an open slot sooner. You can also take advantage of our daily Career Lab and quick question appointments.
Is there a limit to the number of appointments I can make at one time?You may only have two ‘currently scheduled’ appointments in the system at a time, including Quick Question appointments.
I need to cancel my appointment. How do I cancel and/or reschedule?Refer to your confirmation email from the Career Center, where you will find a link to cancel/reschedule your appointment. You may also cancel right in Handshake. **Please see cancellation policy below.
Appointment No-Shows & Cancellations:
If you cannot make a scheduled appointment, please cancel at least 24-hours prior to your appointment. When you miss an appointment without contacting the office, a notation is made in your office record and repeated “no-shows” (2 or more) will jeopardize your ability to schedule future appointments. Repeated no-shows could also result in your Handshake account being frozen, limiting your access to registering for events, applying for jobs/internships or scheduling interviews or appointments.
Being Late to an Appointment:
To minimize disruption for fellow students, if you arrive less than 15-minutes late, your appointment will be reduced by the number of minutes you arrive late. Appointments cannot be extended and will end at the originally scheduled time. If you are more than 15 minutes late, it will be recorded as a “no show” in your office record, and you will have to reschedule.
Unsure which appointment to schedule? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.