11th Hour Racing Position Description
Marketing and Public Relations Intern (Part-Time)
Worksite: Newport, RI
Remote Work: Partial remote work is possible but preference is for at least partial in-person attendance should local health and company policies allow
Preferred Start Date: Early May
Preferred End Date: End of August
Details: Part-time 2-3 days/week, schedule for up to 20 hours/week to be agreed
11th Hour Racing, a Newport RI-based organization, is committed to an innovative approach blending sport sponsorship and philanthropic giving to protect the health of our oceans and waters. We are looking for a college student interested in marketing, public relations, digital content creation, and, ideally, the intersection of sport and ocean health to join our team for Summer 2021. The intern will work with our small in-house communications/marketing team and will get hands-on experience in marketing campaign development and implementation.
The internship is an hourly, paid part time role in the 11th Hour Racing offices with flexibility for some remote work; final schedule to be agreed between intern and company. The internship can be taken for course credit as well if the student so desires. This position is based in Newport, RI.
You will be involved in a range of marketing activities related to 11th Hour Racing’s external communications projects. You will work on developing campaigns related to 11th Hour Racing’s grantees, ambassadors, and sponsorships which focus on ocean health. You will interact closely with 11th Hour Racing staff members and be given responsibilities based on experience and skills, which may include the following:
- Design concepts and completed content for digital media marketing
- Develop and present marketing campaigns for social media marketing
- Research and present best practices related to digital marketing including social media advertising and analytics
- Develop media lists and tailored media outreach plans
- Participate in group discussions and contribute insights, ideas, and feedback related to grantees or pertinent topics and issues
- Support the communications department with ongoing projects as needed
- Brings a passion for the mission of 11th Hour Racing
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English;
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Preference for candidates with basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- You should be a rising junior, senior, or have completed an undergraduate degree in the past 6 months with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
- Preference will be given to candidates with background or knowledge in Marine or Ocean Sciences, Sustainability, Experiential Education, Environmental Studies, Sport or similar disciplines
- Excellent word processing skills and fluency with MS Office and Google Suite
SKILLS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE INTERN SHOULD EXPECT TO DEVELOP DURING THE INTERNSHIP
- Ability to conceive, develop, present, and implement marketing campaigns with a focus on digital marketing
- Graphic design experience related to social media marketing campaigns
- Development of media lists and understanding of media outreach process
- Working knowledge of Cision media monitoring and analytics
- Working knowledge of Sprout Social: social media planning, scheduling, and analytics
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp email marketing platform
- All submissions must be through Indeed.com
- Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter; applications missing either will not be considered
- Application Deadline: Friday February 12, 2021
- No phone calls, please
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves the use of a video display terminal; therefore, the candidate must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. This position primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 50 pounds, kneeling, and bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
11th Hour Racing is an equal opportunity employer and we strive to create an atmosphere where diversity of identity, experience, and background are welcomed, valued, and supported.
We believe that diversity brings about greater results on all levels and we aim to use our resources to generate greater impact through our work. Candidates who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interns must adhere to all applicable organizational policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. A background check will be conducted for the final candidate.