Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. By combining direct technical support, comprehensive policy engagement, global advocacy, grassroots grantmaking, and convenings such as RightsCon, we fight for human rights in the digital age.
The Access Now Digital Security Helpline is a globally distributed team which provides 24/7 incident response, digital security advice, and implementation support for civil society around the world. It offers real-time, direct technical assistance and advice to civil society groups & activists, media organizations, journalists & bloggers, and human rights defenders.
About the Role
As Digital Safety Specialist you will be part of a global team responsible for providing digital safety advice and support for civil society groups at risk around the world, both in-person and remotely. You will assist at-risk users in responding to incidents via various communications methods such as email, chat and video. Occasionally, you will also provide in-person support through workshops, training, and audits. This role reports through the Asia-Pacific Shift Lead, and through Access Now’s senior Helpline managers as appropriate.
This role is an entry-level position, perfect for an individual who is a quick-learner and excited by Access Now’s mission. You should be someone eager to provide amazing advice and service to human rights defenders in Asia and around the world! You are an individual who is well- organized, has sensitive communication skills and an unshakable integrity and personal ethics.
Knowledge, Skills & Mindset You Bring
- Interest in, or prior experience working with women and/or queer communities, civil society, and Human Rights defender organizations in Southeast Asia and neighboring regions
- Experience in customer support under remote settings. Background in Computer Security Incident Response Team or Security Operations Center will be an advantage
- Technical understanding of the internet, and the digital threats faced by victims of human rights abuse and human rights activists and defenders
- Fluency (strong written and verbal communications) in English is essential; applicants who can speak and write in an additional language are at an advantage
- Interest in training and user education
- Strong cultural understanding and experience across the region of focus
- Solid understanding of end-user management of social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Technical skills, including troubleshooting & familiarity with Android, iOS, Microsoft Windows, MacOS, and Linux-based operating systems will be a plus
- Familiarity with community-led anonymity and circumvention tools, security technologies, risk assessment frameworks will be a plus
- Willingness to travel on occasion (once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted)
We expect candidates to have a level of education that, when combined with their professional experience, will show that they have the capability to contribute meaningfully to the Access Now Digital Security Helpline and the users we support.
Location and Time Commitment
This is a full time position, and is expected to be based in the Southeast Asia Region. Expected working hours will generally be from 8 a.m. UTC +8 to 4 p.m. UTC +8, with occasional meetings outside of business hours. Noting that there is flexibility for remote work locations within the Region, Access Now anticipates filling this role through one of its established staffing partners.
Access Now offers competitive salary – commensurate with experience – and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Initial compensation for this role will vary, based on experience and location.
We offer benefits to help our Team embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. Those include travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise! Additional benefits available for Team Members include:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program that provides between 36 and 40 paid days across national holidays, vacation, and personal days
- Opportunity to recharge and grow…through refresher leave after 4 years
- Professional development
- Flexibility in the workplace
- Interaction with a diverse, global team…often through travel
- Engagement with passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, photo and address)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experiences and interest in digital safety
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We do not expect applicants to have every qualification described above. We expect this team member to grow into their role, and to make it their own. Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the security and/or technology communities — even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.