The Organization and Role
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Helpline, RightsCon, Grants, and Operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The Grants & Contracts Manager plays a key role with both the finance and development teams of our growing, global organization. The Manager leverages their financial management experience with grants for nonprofits, and collaborates across the Organization to ensure smooth and timely grant processing, accurate spending against grants budgets, and compliance with funder requirements and applicable laws. The Manager brings a detail-oriented approach to managing competing priorities and deadlines, and coordinates exceptionally well across cross-functional teams.
The Grants & Contracts Manager reports through the Director of Finance, and works closely with the Financial Controller and other Finance Team leads, and with Access Now’s Development Director.
What You Will Do
As the Grants & Contracts Manager you will be responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the Organization’s financial management of its grants, donations, and fundraising efforts in a dynamic, collaborative, and mission-based environment.
Budget Preparation and Adjustments
- Develop and review budgets for grant proposals aligned with organizational priorities and available expense categories, whilst being responsive to funder interests
- Support Development Director in responding to and managing follow-up financial requests from funders
- Work closely with Financial Controller to track adjustments and projections
- Support creation of the Organizational budget, primarily from a ‘budget by funder’ and an unrestricted vs. restricted perspective
Financial Grant Analysis and Compliance
- Coordinate all financial reporting aspects of Access Now’s grants by working closely with accountants to allocate expenses to specific funders, according to budget and need
- Provide timely and accurate financial reports for donors to Finance Director and to Development Director, to meet rolling deadlines across all funding relationships
- Review time allocation to grants to ensure that allocations meet funding requirements, and that grant funds are being spent down appropriately
- Support Finance Director on audits and agreed-upon-procedures as needed, providing documentation and drafting responses to audit questions
- Review incoming grant agreements for their financial requirements to provide advice on their application, feasibility, and practical implementation
- Ensure that directors and managerial staff understand and comply with funders’ terms and conditions as set out in grant agreements
- Maintain documentation of financial documents for funding agreements and strong internal processes which intersect with the Development Team
- Analyze and report on general ledger account activity for variances from budget
- Prepare a periodic and annual restricted revenue release schedule
- Support decision-making on grant expenses, interpreting whether the expense is appropriate and allowable within the grant framework, budget, goals, and general conditions
- Work closely with EU counterparts to align and ensure financial reporting and compliance obligations as they relate to grant revenue and expenses
- Keep abreast of accounting pronouncements and industry best practices with respect to revenue recognition and grant financial reporting for not-for-profits
- Pursue additional training in grant management requirements/regulations, as needed
- Perform administrative tasks (information management, maintenance of financial aspects of grant files, document destruction, etc.) as needed
- Other financial projects/tasks as assigned
As a top candidate you will bring:
- Clear depth of understanding of (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) GAAP principles as they relate to grant-making and revenue recognition, as well as typical not-for-profit policies, procedures, and best practices
- Familiarity with grants from a diverse range of sources in a not-for-profit, international context
- Advanced Excel skills, including creation and use of complex pivot tables, lookup functions, and other features for formatting, manipulating, and analyzing data
- Nonprofit accounting experience, including basic accounting concepts, TRNA (Temporary Restricted Net Assets)/funding with restrictrictions, deferred revenue, balance sheet items, projection, fund budget building
- Exceptional ability to set and manage priorities, and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and multi‐task
- Strong orientation toward working as part of a fast-paced team
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills
- Detail-oriented approaches, possessing keen analytical skills organization
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, through a combination of education, training, and/or experience, plus four years of related experience
Preferred Skills, Experience
We know that it will be helpful if you have:
- Multi-year foreign government grant financial management and reporting experiences
- Revenue recognition per GAAP
- Familiarity with FundEZ and Salesforce
This is a full-time position, ideally located in either of our New York City or Washington, DC offices, with ability to attend occasional in-person meetings. At this time Access Now Team Members are working remotely full-time, with a likely return to offices later in 2021. Candidates in Berlin, Brussels, San José (CR), or Tunis who meet skills and background requirements may be considered. The successful candidate must have the legal right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive salary – commensurate with experience – and benefits packages that align with our office localities. For candidates in the US, Initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated between $70,000 and $80,000 USD annually, and will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. Benefits for this specific role, if filled within the US, include paid healthcare – medical, dental, and vision – insurance, as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program match. If filled in one of the other locations listed above, salary and benefits will align to the corresponding Region, accordingly. All Team Members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Cover letter outlining your specific interest and suitability for this role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.