About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the role
The #KeepItOn Fellow will participate in and amplify the #KeepItOn campaign to fight internet shutdowns. The Fellow will engage with Access Now staff and crucial organizational partners to help advance the campaign’s goals. The Fellow will gain an understanding of a significant Access Now project, primarily from a data, policy, and advocacy perspective. The Fellow will mainly participate in data collection, analysis, and verification, as well as outreach and engagement.
The #KeepItOn Fellow will be mentored and supervised by Access Now’s #KeepItOn Campaign Lead.
What you will do
- Identify, verify, and document internet shutdowns as they happen using the Shutdowns Tracker Optimization Project (STOP) methodology
- Review and update existing STOP tracker data to meet current standards and match new data collection mechanisms
- Map relevant sources of data, including Google (via its transparency data), Facebook (via its internet disruption data), IODA, OONI, and more, and incorporate such sources of data into our data collection mechanism
- Regularly check with partners, and collaborate with new and existing data sources to document internet shutdowns and social media blocking
- Identify, monitor, and report on #KeepItOn data and emerging trends and insights around the use of shutdowns, including through data visualization methods
- Contribute to quarterly and annual #KeepItOn reports, as well as advocacy materials to share important findings and further the mission of the campaign
What skills and mindset you should have
- Exceptional data analysis and reporting skills
- Strong general understanding of user safety, data ethics, and research practices
- Proficiency in using and maintaining data management systems
- Interest in the mission of Access Now
- Ability to work remotely with an international team
- Ability to respond rapidly to new or unexpected assignments
- A commitment to excellence and to being a reliable, responsive, and accountable team member through the fellowship
- Proficiency with office productivity suites
- Fluency in English
It is helpful to have
- Undergraduate degree in data science, political science, or related fields
- A working knowledge of network measurement tools
- Working proficiency in a language other than English spoken in communities impacted by internet shutdowns
- Knowledge of digital rights or policy issues surrounding human rights and technology, particularly related to connectivity and freedom of expression
Time Commitment and Location
This is a full-time, one-year fellowship, estimated to operate between March 2021 and February 2022. Individuals who have experience with or connection to communities that have been impacted by internet shutdowns are especially encouraged to apply. At this time, all Access Now team members are working remotely full-time, with a likely return to office arrangements at some point in 2022. The successful fellow must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers fellowships with compensation, and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Compensation for this fixed-term fellowship is estimated at or around $3,500-5,500 USD, monthly, depending on experience and specific fellowship contract location. Team Members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through the APPLY FOR THIS JOB link:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, photo and address)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your interest in our advocacy work around internet shutdowns
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.