Investment Analyst – Remote Location
Join pioneering impact investment manager Accial Capital and help drive marketing and execution of our fintech transactions in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and other frontier markets. This is a fantastic opportunity for early-career professionals to gain meaningful exposure to private credit investing and play an active part in building an institutional-scale portfolio. Responsibilities will include industry research, deal sourcing, and analyzing potential fund and company investments. The Investment Analyst will report directly to the Chief Investment Officer and work directly with other members of the Executive Team.
About Accial Capital
Accial Capital seeks to reduce the emerging market credit gap by bringing capital, technology, data, and domain expertise to specialist consumer and small business “fintech” lenders in emerging markets. Accial Capital’s team is composed of emerging market credit and data experts, having led the growth of an award-winning credit scoring technology used to approve millions of borrowers and $1Bn+ in loans in 20+ markets. Accial Capital is backed by Davis Capital Partners, a multi-billion AUM financial services investment firm.
The emerging market consumer and small business private debt opportunity is growing at remarkable rates based on several long-term mega trends. In Accial Capital’s target markets the largest population cohorts ever are now approaching their “credit age” yet credit penetration is structurally low – typically 1/3 of US levels. This financing gap is being addressed by a wave of technology-enabled lenders whose products ride on the rails of widespread cell phone penetration and a boom in data available to improve credit analysis. The Accial Capital team believes that there has never been a more propitious moment for financial inclusion than the next 20 years.
Accial Capital seeks to provide technology-enabled lenders in emerging markets with capital and domain expertise to scale lending operations. Accial Capital typically invests in consumer and small business portfolios through institutional-grade deal structures. Accial Capital takes a proactive, hands-on role in the data and credit decision operations at most of its partner lenders. Accial Capital seeks to provide private debt investors access to a multi-country, multi-platform, multi-product emerging market private debt opportunity, seeking to maximize returns and impact in a fast-growing market. Accial Capital is a signatory to the Responsible Finance Forum Investor Guidelines and is a member of the Global Impact Investing Network.
What you’ll do
We are looking for a smart, driven person to join the Investments team as an Investment Analyst. The individual will work on prospective new investments across multiple deal stages including deal sourcing, due diligence, approval documentation, and ongoing deal maintenance. Investments will be focused on Latin America and Southeast Asia. The role will involve direct communication with founders/entrepreneurs in those markets and investors that work with them. Key responsibilities include:
- Macro research: country level market scoping on new emerging markets to enter, and staying up to date on broader trends in markets we are already invested in
- Deal sourcing: gathering information on the fintech/proptech/start-up industry in target countries and building relationships with best of breed companies to fill deal pipelines
- Deal filtering: memo preparation for prospective deals in emerging lenders and originators
- Due diligence (including in-person trips to companies in a post-pandemic world): digging into companies and assessing the risks of an investment, with work to be approved by the Investment Committee
- Communicate: with different stakeholders to get new deals approved and deployed
- Improve processes: finding better ways to complete work by embracing technology and common sense
- Attitude: Successful candidates will be hungry to make an impact in their career and will have an ability to work well in both team and self-directed settings. They will be comfortable with ambiguity and seeking to get exposure to emerging markets. We prize resourcefulness.
- Talent: We are looking for talented, entrepreneurial young professionals. Tell us how you are uniquely talented and tell us what you can point to in your experience that exemplifies your unique talents.
- Experience: 1-4 years of work experience, finance/consulting preferred but not mandatory
- Language: Strong English communication skills. Spanish or Bahasa Indonesia is a plus.
- Education: Undergraduate degree
- Passion for Accial Capital’s mission
The role is remote so there is flexibility, but preference is for someone who spends significant time each year in-market in Latin America or Southeast Asia, particularly in Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore, Mexico, Colombia, or Peru. Periodic travel ~ 20% of the time once travel normalizes.
What Accial offers:
- Fintech/Start-up exposure: get to work with some of the best fintech and start-ups in the industry and help entrepreneurs scale out their business
- Impact: make a difference as we close the credit gap and improve borrower livelihoods in developing countries
- Flat Hierarchy: we have a small but tight-knit team where everyone is empowered to do meaningful work with an entrepreneurial work culture
- Remote Work: Accial Capital is a globally remote company that offers remote working benefits
- Travel: see the world – pre-pandemic, the team prioritized boots on the ground and visiting investee companies and their cities in person; the plan is to resume this practice once it is safe to do so
- Compensation: we offer market compensation for the impact investing space, including healthcare and bonuses tied to fund performance
Click on “Apply for This Job” button on the top right corner of the page. Do not wait to apply as we accept applications on a rolling basis.