SALARY INFORMATION: SEE CERTIFIED SALARY SCHEDULE
STANDARD HOURS PER WEEK: 40
MONTHS PER YEAR: 9
JOB CODE: 174099
POSITION TYPE: REPLACEMENT – REGULAR
LOCATION: THORNTON, CO.
SUMMARY: Significant Support Needs Teachers facilitate specially designed academic, social-emotional and activities of daily living instruction for students with extensive and diverse needs in the areas of cognition and/or learning, communication, movement and/or social/emotional abilities. These individuals may also have concurrent health, sensory, physical and/or behavioral disabilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advocate for students with disabilities to ensure access to learning opportunities and equity in discipline processes
- Model and promote inclusive language
- Facilitate care and management of students’ personal and medical needs
- Ensure students have access to appropriate communication resources
- Assess and determine eligibility of students with disabilities
- Develop and monitor progress of SMART learning goals for each student
- Administer Colorado alternative assessments
- Coordinate, schedule and monitor paraprofessionals
- Collaborate with classroom teachers, school psychologists, speech/language pathologists, school social workers and other special education service providers to develop integrated plans for students with disabilities
- Collaborate with families to ensure students’ strengths, needs, services and progress are regularly communicated
- Implement IDEA and ECEA regulations
- Develop and implement legally compliant, instructionally sound IEPs
- Ensure IEP implementation across settings
- Abide by all district/policies/procedures
- Identify students’ current academic and functional performance levels
- Implement SSN Quality Indicators
- Develop appropriately ambitious trajectories toward Colorado Extended Evidence Outcomes (EEO)
- Plan age-appropriate lessons incorporating evidence-based practices and identify resources for instruction
- Implement specially-designed instruction in a continuum of special education/general educational environments
- Understand or be willing to learn to how to plan and implement literacy and math instruction for students with Intellectual Disabilities
- Differentiate instruction for learners with diverse needs
- Demonstrate an understanding of student behavior and classroom management structures
- Participate in ongoing professional development sessions
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain from, or be in process with, the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) for a valid Colorado Educator License within 30 days of hire.
- Must possess the required license and endorsement. If highly qualified by content test or semester hours, with no endorsement: applicant must possess a Colorado educator license with a passing score on a CDE approved content test or 24 semester hours in specific core content classes as determined by Human Resources.
Preference given to candidates with with SSN Teaching Experience and/or ELL Training and/or an ESL or (LDE) Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement.
SALARY INFORMATION (FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES):
All salary placement on our Certified Salary schedule is dependent on the employees’ education and/or work experience. Certified/licensed employees will be granted one (1) year for each full year of contractual and/or work experience up to a maximum of ten (10) years, which includes in-district and out-of-district contractual teaching and/or work experience. Responsibility for verification of outside experience shall rest with the individual employee. For further explanation of salary placement please refer to our Certified Master Agreement that can be found on our district website.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools is committed to providing an environment that promotes a healthy employee population able to serve our students at the highest level. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as other programs for benefit eligible employees. The employee assistance program, voluntary life insurance through PERA, and 401(k), 403(b) & 457(b) plans are available to all employees regardless of hours worked and are available immediately (upon hire date).
To learn more about our benefits including paid time off, please see our Benefits Overview.
THIS POSTING IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION.