Agios (agios.com) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to applying our scientific leadership in cellular metabolism to transform the lives of patients with cancer and rare genetic diseases. We are growing rapidly with an active research and discovery pipeline across both therapeutic areas. Agios has two approved oncology precision medicines and multiple first-in-class investigational therapies in clinical and/or preclinical development.
Agios Pharmaceuticals is searching for a dynamic Bioinformatics Intern to join our growing Data Science team. The Intern will play a large role in the architecting of large-scale genetics data resources which will be used to drive Agios’ novel target discovery efforts.
· Acquire, collate, normalize, and perform other data engineering tasks on heterogenous datasets from within the company and from public repositories, in order to create a centralized data resource
· Collaborate with members of the Data Sciences team in the writing of software packages and user interfaces to enable easy querying of the above data resource by non-experts
· Perform bioinformatics analyses of common ‘omics data types, with a focus primarily on RNA-seq and proteomics data, encompassing quality control, differential expression, and functional enrichment-style analyses
· Current Master’s or PhD student in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, or a related field
· Familiarity with the R programming language, shell scripting, the htslib suite of bioinformatics tools, and cluster computing tooling (such as Sun Grid Engine)
· Experience performing basic statistical analysis of ‘omics datasets (especially RNA-seq) via common software packages
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, and a willingness to be a team player
· Experience analyzing and harmonizing heterogenous bioinformatics datasets
· Experience analyzing scRNA-seq data
· Software engineering experience on a large application or software package, especially in collaboration with other developers
· Experience with relational database management systems (RDBMS), and/or NoSQL-style databases
· Experience using AWS-backed cloud computing platforms such as Databricks or DNAnexus a strong plus