Position Type: Internship
Compensation Type: Unpaid
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for Children’s Rights provides free legal services and advocacy to protect the rights of impoverished and abused children and youth in LA County, enabling them to have safe, stable homes, healthcare, and the education they need to thrive. Clients include children in foster care, runaway and emancipating youth, relative and non-relative caregivers and children with educational, physical, and emotional disabilities. Alliance staff include lawyers, social workers, health care specialists, and advocates.
The Alliance is actively recruiting a health care intern for its challenging 10-week summer program. The health care intern will interact with potential Alliance clients and collaborate with Alliance staff, while learning about the Los Angeles County dependency system and the resources available to those involved in the system.
All students in our summer program receive rigorous training on child welfare laws and client intake. In addition, the health care interns work may include:
· Advocating with the Department of Children and Family Services and medical providers to resolve issues related to Medi-Cal coverage and access to health care services
· Attending collaborative community meetings related to health care
· Serving as primary client contact on selected cases
· Attending program case review
· Improving oral and written advocacy skills
How to apply:
· Please submit a cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Cover letters must indicate why students are interested in health care.
· All positions are unpaid and occur during business hours (9:00a to 5:30p M-F)
· Preferred dates for the summer 2021 internship program are May 24th through July 30th. Students must be available during the entire 10-week period. No split schedules are considered.
**Spanish fluency required**