Position Type: Internship
Compensation Type: Unpaid
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for Children’s Rights provides free legal services and advocacy to protect the rights of impoverished and abused children and youth in LA County, enabling them to have safe, stable homes, healthcare, and the education they need to thrive. Clients include children in foster care, runaway and emancipating youth, relative and non-relative caregivers and children with educational, physical, and emotional disabilities. Alliance staff include lawyers, social workers, health care specialists, and advocates.
The Alliance is actively recruiting a policy intern for its challenging 10-week summer program. The policy intern works closely with the policy team and with staff across various programs to advance the Alliance’s legislative agenda, contribute to impact litigation and assist in efforts to implement systemic reform.
All students in our summer program receive rigorous training on child welfare laws and client intake. In addition, the policy intern’s work may include:
- Research and analysis on issues related to complex legislative and policy proposals/reforms for a variety of audiences including legislative staff, agency staff, and the public
- Review and draft written comments and/or testimony on pending legislation, regulations, and other state and county policies (e.g. ordinances, All County Letters)
- Assist in the development of position papers, policy briefs, fact sheets, training materials and advocacy tools
- Assist in development of trainings and training materials
Qualifications & How to Apply:
- Cover letter must indicate why student is interested in policy/advocacy
- Cover letter must indicate first available start date.
- All positions are unpaid and occur during business hours (9:00a to 5:30p M-F)
- The summer 2021 preferred program dates are May 24 – July 30. No split schedules considered.