Manufacturing Test Engineer Co-op
January 2022 to June 2022
North Reading, MA or Westborough, MA
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? We apply advances in robotics and software to solve real-world problems that delight our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. Amazon Robotics is located in the greater Boston area, the epicenter of robotics innovation. Our diverse teams come from all over the world to design, test and build our dynamic fleet of robots and mechatronic systems. Having our offices, labs, test floors and factories all co-located means that we can design the hardware, write the code, test, build and watch it all come to life. This allows us to innovate quickly and on limitless ideas. Current advancements are underway in autonomous movement and mobility, artificial intelligence and machine learning, manipulation, simulation, robotic management software, predictive analytics, and much more.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfillment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
Come join us in North Reading, MA, or in our newly expanded innovation hub in Westborough, MA!
As a Manufacturing Test Engineer on the Technical Operations team, you will develop automated test and manufacturing solutions for a wide array of robotic systems. You will work in a fast paced, ambiguous, start-up like environment with a desire to think big and scale designs to meet the growing demand of our manufacturing partners. You will work with a cross-functional team to effectively improve quality, accuracy, and speed of manufacturing test processes.
This role is a 6-month co-op to join AR full time (40 hours/week) from January – June 2022. Amazon Robotics co-op opportunities will be based in the Greater Boston Area, in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity for interns to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
This Co-op may be responsible for:
- · Actively support and foster a culture of inclusion.
- Creating mechanisms, processes, and/or documentation to improve production floor operations.
- Gather, analyze and document functional/technical requirements for new projects, enhancements to existing solutions and production issues reported by end users.
- Design and implement manufacturing hardware and software tools.
- Develop within a cross-functional team to execute prototype and product designs.
- Design and development hardware and software for test equipment which tests: printed circuit board assemblies (PCBAs), sensing technology, electro-mechanical sub-assemblies, and robotic systems.
- Contribute to design risk assessment documents to ensure designs are safe for operator usage.
- Partner with 3rd party designers and manufacturers to accomplish project goals.
- Create presentations to communicate ideas, concepts, and designs to colleagues and managers.
- Document new and updated designs via Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) including a Bill of Materials (BOM).
- Verify and validate prototype designs of test equipment.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or Computer Science.
- Junior year or above
- Previous co-op or experience in a professional environmental desired
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to solve problems independently and in team settings
- Experience with GD&T is a plus
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good work ethic, desire to learn and be challenged
- Knowledge of one or more high level programming languages.
- Experience writing and using Labview/Teststand, Python or equivalent test programs or User Interfaces.
- Experience with Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) hardware.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.