America Votes is the coordination hub of the progressive community, leading collaborative efforts among a diverse coalition of more than 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote. America Votes works nationally and in more than 20 states to provide a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states. For more information about America Votes, visit www.americavotes.org.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated, and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is committed to helping mentor the rising stars of the progressive movement. The goal of this program is to provide training and experience for Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color (BIPOC) to transition into or begin a career in the field of political and organizing data. America Votes hopes to build on the work of BIPOC activists in this space and invest in the future of progressive data.
Data fellows at America Votes will be exposed to a fast paced environment, get an inside look at how our coalition operates year-round, and connect with some of the most influential issue organizations in the country. America Votes fellows will be assigned to a state team and will primarily work with them on day-to-day tasks, but will also have the opportunity to work with in-state partners and our national team while learning new skills. Fellows will participate in a total of 40 hours of virtual classroom data skills training with an equity focus, where they will learn VAN, SQL, Tableau, and other data visualization and analysis skills. Upon conclusion of the training, fellows will work with state staff to design and complete a project in an area of interest for use in their portfolios.
This position will be based with one of America Votes’ core states. America Votes has offices located in DC and CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NM, NV, OH, PA, and WI. America Votes is currently working remotely; however, if you are based in a state with an America Votes office, a hybrid approach may be possible depending on local guidance.
- Assist in data collection, data entry, and analysis for a variety of state projects.
- Provide support with the cleaning, analysis, and presentation of data.
- Support partner organizations through the administration of VAN and direct voter contact tools.
- Identify and gather information to help partners make strategic, data-driven decisions.
- Train with data applications to support state teams and advance progressive causes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience building power with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, preferably in campaign or organizing settings.
- Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills.
- Excellent communication and time management skills, with attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Positive attitude and a sense of humor.
- Spirit of service and problem-solving attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
Not required but we’d love to hear about your experience with any of the following:
- Experience with one or more of the following: Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, R, SQL, Python, Tableau or other data analytics tools is useful but not required; training will be provided.
- Familiarity with VAN (voter database) is useful but not required; training will be provided.
- Prior experience with data analysis or visualization is useful, but not required; training will be provided.
- Bilingual or multilingual.
A stipend will be provided for 20-25 hours per week at the rate of $20 an hour. 15 of the hours must be completed on weekdays between 9 A.M. and 6 P.M. in your assigned team’s time zone, but the remaining hours can be completed on evenings and weekends if preferred. Benefits for this position include health, dental and vision insurance, a laptop, and an internet stipend.
Please submit a copy of your resume. In addition, please tell us what you would like to get out of your fellowship experience (100 to 250 words).
This position begins in January 2022 and runs through the week of June 6, 2022. Interviews will begin the week of November 8, and will be conducted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
If you experience any technical difficulties with our application form, please email email@example.com. Please note that only applications received through the application form will be considered; please do not email us your application materials.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.