Do you want to use your social media, writing, and organization skills to save energy, cut pollution, and fight climate change? Then, this job is for you.
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a dynamic and creative communications associate/coordinator. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, founded in 1980, that advances energy-saving policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors to build a more equitable and sustainable future.
Collaborative, team-oriented, and mission-driven, ACEEE is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Staff work at an energetic pace in an entrepreneurial environment that offers opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
The communications associate/coordinator runs the organization’s social media, webinars, and email campaigns, while assisting in writing and editing press materials, media outreach and marketing of ACEEE events. This individual must be able to perform tasks independently, with regular oversight and working with the entire communications team. This position reports to the communications manager.
· Runs the organization’s social media channels, developing engaging content for reports and papers and injecting colleagues’ expertise into current policy debates. Identifies news events, popular topics, and other opportunities for engagement. Works to expand and diversify the organization’s reach, including through paid social media campaigns, while staying abreast of best practices. Works with colleagues to develop their social media skills.
· Coordinates approximately two dozen webinars annually, working with colleagues to schedule, coordinate with speakers, develop materials, produce, and promote the events.
· Supports communications manager in media outreach efforts, including periodically drafting press materials and researching and contacting reporters.
· Prepares promotional toolkits for major reports, developing sample social media posts and coordinating with colleagues who develop graphics.
· Helps promote ACEEE events and virtual conferences, primarily the Behavior, Energy & Climate Change Conference, by preparing social media toolkits and hosting promotional webinars. Supports the conferences team on event days.
· Periodically edits blog posts.
· Disseminates blog posts, press releases, and webinar announcements through email blasts. Runs A/B testing and works with colleagues to improve deliverability and update contact lists. Works with the organization’s Salesforce manager in synchronizing contact data in Pardot.
· Monitors and tracks the results of social media and email marketing work.
· Organizes meetings of the Energy Efficiency Communications Network and works with partner organizations to host the annual Energy Efficiency Day campaign.
· Posts press releases and blog posts on the organization’s website; periodically supports the web team with the maintenance of content on ACEEE’s websites.
Skills & Competencies
- Professional experience in social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn; demonstrated results increasing followers
- Experience in email marketing, sending to large lists quickly without room for errors (preferably including experience in Pardot)
- Experience managing virtual events (preferably including at least one of Zoom, ON 24, or Microsoft Teams Live)
- Professional writing and editing experience
- Preferred: experience with Cision and Salesforce
- Interest in energy and environmental policy
- Superb organizational and project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects with conflicting deadlines
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Attention to detail
- Tech savvy and openness to learning new skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork-oriented, and strategic
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree and at least two years of full-time professional communications experience, or at least four years of full-time professional communications experience without a Bachelors.
Preferred start date: On or about March 1, 2021, based in Washington, DC (with remote work during COVID-19 pandemic). Job closes January 29, 2021.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $44,200 – $62,000. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; public transit and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and a brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “Communications Associate/Coordinator” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.