American Documentary is currently accepting applications for our remote Summer Internship Program.
DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted through May 7th. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
OVERVIEW: Interns will gain training and mentorship through our hands-on educational program, designed to provide a “”behind-the-scenes”” look at public media and the documentary field. We are committed to working with individual interns to meet their unique learning objectives by focusing on project/s throughout the duration of their internship.
These are the various departments of American Documentary|POV where internships are available:
Engagement, Communications, Series (POV, America ReFramed) and Development (dependent upon season).
– Interns will gain real world exposure to independent documentary cinema through screening, research, and writing projects
– Interns will gain first-hand work experience with nonfiction public media programming based on their career goals, including in department-specific placements alongside staff in Programming, Communications, Community Engagement or External Affairs
– Interns will network and establish professional contacts by attending industry events with a wide range of stakeholders, such as filmmakers, funders and community partners
ELIGIBILITY: This opportunity is open to undergraduate (Juniors & Seniors), graduate students and recent college graduates (1-2 years).
COMPENSATION: Candidates may elect to receive college credit or a monthly stipend; if intern is granted a stipend through this fund and another source for the purpose of supporting internship expenses, the intern is encouraged to choose financial support from only one source.
COMMITMENT: 24 hours per week for a 12-week commitment during office hours (10am – 6pm). We are flexible with schedules as the internship is remote.
– Create a “Growth Plan” with Supervisor that meets their learning and skill building objectives that can be met by completing a project/s over duration of their internship
– Participate in Monthly Professional Development Workshops/Sessions
– Attend department and larger staff meetings
– Commit to the full length of the summer internship program (12 weeks)
– Provide feedback during and at the end of their internship about their experience as an American
NOTE: We are not a production company.