Are you passionate about promoting free enterprise, individual liberty and opportunity for all? Are you enthusiastic about using facts and empirical data to advance AEI’s mission and commitment to academic freedom? If you have a demonstrated interest in public policy, and specifically how innovative social and economic solutions can impact low-income Americans, join AEI as the next Research and Writing Assistant for President and Morgridge Scholar, Robert Doar.
As the Research and Writing Assistant for the President, you will focus extensively on research and writing about economic mobility, poverty studies, safety-net programs and welfare reform. You will also work with the President’s team in providing executive-level support to ensure maximum output and top-notch results.
This is a great opportunity if you are fueled by intellectual curiosity and have exceptional writing skills, in addition to meticulous attention to detail and organizational skills. You will join a high-performing executive team, and institution, that is integral to today’s public policy discussion.
- Provide research and writing support for the President, including but not limited to: conducting literature reviews to quantitative analysis to fact checking and creating visualizations.
- Draft and edit a variety of formal and informal written products, such as op-eds, blogs, academic journal articles, speeches, remarks, interview questions.
- Serve as thought partner to the President and AEI’s communications team in helping the President identify the best opportunities and avenues for commentary on a variety of subjects, but most often in the areas of federal policy concerning low income Americans
- Collaborate with the Director of the Executive Office, President’s Scheduler and the Development team to manage scheduling, logistics and other preparation for speaking engagements, presentations, and appearances and other types of meetings and events that may include prominent donors, public officials, and other key audiences
- Regularly monitor and summarize current events and public policy developments of interest to the President and AEI’s mission.
- Manage project plans and timelines in a proactive manner for ongoing research, writing projects, and media events such as podcasts and videos; manage social media accounts in collaboration with other staff on behalf of the President to maintain consistent engagement and presentation in his work.
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and the mission of AEI
- Exceptional writing skills including the ability to capture and convey messaging, tone and voice in written products
- Strong attention to detail (especially in administrative and tactical work)
- Demonstrated experience with journalism, opinion writing and academic writing
- Prior experience as an editor and writer for an undergraduate or graduate level publication
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics or related public policy field (experience with data visualization and quantitative analysis is a plus)
- 0-2 years of professional experience
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, academic transcript(s) and 500-word writing sample with their online application at www.aei.org/jobs.