ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 275,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit
The Online Communications Manager (OCM) is a member of the Marketing and Communications team. Specifically, the OCM works closely with the Senior Director of Online Strategy to manage and increase engagement with donors, volunteers, activists, online communities, and corporate partners across all digital channels. The OCM will also manage special projects and assist with other marketing efforts as needed.
Online Marketing (75%)
- Oversee all social media channels, including creating original content, cultivating relevant influencers, maintaining community engagement, planning an ongoing content calendar, and executing campaigns across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, etc. This includes planning for and creating paid social media ad campaigns.
- Provide general website maintenance, including updating and creating webpages and donation forms. Gather digital assets both internally and externally and coordinate their integration into online projects.
- Manage the development and implementation of various online projects as needed, from idea generation and planning to final content creation and production.
- Help design and implement high profile national campaigns, including our America’s Most Endangered Rivers® report release, 50th anniversary of the Clean Water Act, and end of year fundraising.
- Manage in-house graphic and video production for various communications and marketing efforts while maintaining and exploring best practices for digital content performance.
- Draft advocacy Action Alerts, and either lead or participate in the process of developing other email communications, including fundraising and general engagement emails.
- Work with regional staff to increase the performance of their content, and ensure timely, strategic communications to their online audiences, tracking progress and deliverables as needed.
- Utilize tools like Google Analytics and Meltwater to help develop, analyze and report on benchmark stats for Web sites, social media sites, e-mail campaigns and online advertising. Provide regular reports to staff and stakeholders.
- Assist with maintenance of internal communications planning calendar.
- Assist with monthly department reports.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years’ experience, preferably at least one year in online communications, online advocacy or web content production.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Youtube) and the emerging trends with content and engagement across these platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment, and strong attention to detail.
- Experience working with popular CMS, CRM and advocacy tools, such as WordPress, Engaging Networks, Salesforce/Salsa, Convio. HTML and CSS experience a plus.
- Experience working on email fundraising campaigns and advocacy programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and photo editing software (Photoshop or Canva). Basic design and video editing skills a big plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, with strong time and budget skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- High energy, flexible, self-motivated, and the ability to work professionally with staff at all levels of the organization, in person and remotely.
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations and a commitment to conservation preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full‐time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.