Searching for a Mid-Level Data Collector & Scientist with data science experience to manage, collect, and analyze open-source data for a government customer in Washington D.C. (Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling). Primary skills sought are project management, open-source collection, linguistics, and intelligence analysis; secondary skill sought is data science. The position leads a team of data engineers and collectors that focus on open-source ETL and analysis to gain valuable mission-specific insights. This leader works closely with team members to improve data flow.
Communicates insights gained and recommends ways-forward to the team and customer.
[KEY SKILLS: “Leadership and Communication Skills”, “Intelligence Collection and Analysis”, “Data Science”, “Open Source Data”]
Mid-Level Data Collector & Scientist will:
- Perform as a project manager who acts as an interface between the government and a highly-specialized technical team of data scientists, data engineers, and linguist-enabled open-source collectors. (Team member experience levels range from 0 to 20+ years.)
- Conduct web-based collection of publicly available information (PAI) sources, to include traditional and non-traditional sources, with the purpose of responding to customer requirements.
- Engage data requestors to confirm understanding of requirements, and perform full cycle of collection, processing, and exploitation of PAI towards the dissemination of OSINT packages and reporting.
- Verify, to the extent possible, the origin of his/her source material; provide source accuracy and reliability assessments; and follow customer-approved citation standards.
- Seek opportunities to conduct automated, bulk collection of PAI by performing source data evaluation and working with senior data scientists and engineers on establishing workflows.
- Leverage available technologies across networks to aid the PED process and demonstrate aptitude to learn new analytic techniques.
- Write clear and concise reports summarizing collected material.
- Perform, on a limited basis (< 25% of time), basic data science tasks such as statistical inferences and correlations, extract-transform-load, data scraping, data visualization, and big-data operations. Execute data science methods using common programming/scripting languages: Python, R; and extract features from large data stores. Use software tools and write interface and query routines to support analysis of data drawn from natural language processing and/or computer vision to identify objects in text or image files.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated aptitude for problem-solving complex technical issues, identifying, transforming, thinking outside the box, and a strong sense of accountability is desired. We are seeking individuals with a mix of technical excellence, intellectual curiosity, communications skills, customer focus, and operational experience. Individuals must be motivated, self-driven team player who can multi-task and interact well with others.
Mid-Level Data Collector & Scientist Basic Qualifications:
- Must be a US Citizen with an active TS clearance with SCI eligibility and willing to submit to a counterintelligence (CI) polygraph
- Bachelor’s Degree with 7+ years of experience as an intelligence analyst or data collector
- Leadership experience
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to write reports, format and populate dashboards, and provide context to data
- 2+ DLPT reading and writing in foreign language (priority to Chinese (Mandarin), Farsi, Russian, Arabic, Spanish)
- Ability to work one-on-one and as a contributor to a team
- Experience with data science, open-source data, and working closely w/ data scientists
Mid-Level Data Collector & Scientist Preferred Qualifications:
- Active TS-SCI security clearance
- Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience
- CI polygraph taken within past 5 years
- Ability to write scripts or algorithms to partially automate tasks (e.g. Python or R)
- Military experience
- Project management experience
- Understanding of operational security measure, managed attribution tools and techniques
- Considerable experience with Boolean logic, natural language processing, social media analytics, data correlation, and data visualizations
- Native language ability
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about Southeast Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com/raleigh/