Senior Data Scientist & Project Manager needed to conduct data science and be the project manager for an open-source data collection activity for a government customer at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling. Data collectors, engineers, and scientists focus on open-source data ETL and analysis to gain valuable mission-specific insights. The scientist will work closely with data engineers to improve data pipelines, semantic data models, and data storage; and communicate findings and recommend ways-forward to both the team and customer. (ARA is staffing for an expected contract award in June 2021.)
[KEY SKILLS: “Data Science”, “Statistics”, “Open Source Data Analysis”, “Big Data”, “Cloud Technology”, “Leadership and Communication Skills”]
The Senior Data Scientist & Project Manager will be able to perform the following tasks:
Extract features from large data stores containing open source publicly/commercially available information (PAI/CAI) in a wide range of possible formats, including JSON, XML, raw text logs, industry-specific encodings, and graph link data. Such data often contains bad records, partial records, errors, or other forms of “noising.”
Use software tools and write interface and query routines to support analysis of data drawn from natural language processing and computer vision to identify objects in text, image, video, and audio files.
Execute data science methods using common programming/scripting languages: Python, Java, R (statistics).
Develop operational analytics that result in workflow efficiency and/or extract new insights from collected data holdings. Leveraging available technology, work closely with data engineers and collectors to bridge the activity’s technical gaps; and lead/help the team to create, validate, and implement data models to solve problems and answer questions.
Apply descriptive and inferential statistics to describe data and make predictions about the data, including statistical tests to determine confidence for a hypothesis, common summary statistics (e.g. mean, variance, and counts), fit distributions to datasets and use those distributions to predict event likelihoods, and data correlation techniques. Also, enhance open source collection requirements and support data evaluation objectives through statistical analysis and provide subject matter expertise during evaluation exercises.
The Senior Data Scientist & Project Manager will be required to convey his/her findings through scientific visualization, written products, oral briefings, and interactive data visualization to both technical and non-technical customers.
Senior Data Scientist & Project Manager Required Experience & Skills:
- Must be a US Citizen with an active TS clearance with SCI eligibility and willing to submit to a counterintelligence (CI) polygraph
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field (data science, computer science, mathematics, computational analytics, computational finance, engineering, etc.)
- Data Science experience (12+ years)
- Understanding of open source “big data” analytic methodologies and technologies
- Project Management experience
- Expert use of Python and SQL
- Experience using R and other statistical software
- Must have leadership experience
Senior Data Scientist & Project Manager Preferred Experience & Skills:
Above all, we value passion, a desire to learn, and teamwork. We are confident that if you possess the right attitude, work ethic, and skill set that you could succeed in the role. In addition to the experience and skills above, if you have any of the following you will be able to accelerate your effectiveness and impact.
- Active TS-SCI security clearance
- CI polygraph taken within past 5 years
- Master’s degree in applicable field (data science, computer science, mathematics, computational analytics, etc.) [10+ years data science experience.]
- Experience using software related to natural language processing, computer vision, signal processing, and speech recognition
- All or some of the following: Scala, deeplearning4j, Torch, Tensor Flow, Caffe, Neon, NVIDIA cuDNN, OpenCV, Hadoop, HDFS, Hbase, Hive, Impala, Giraph, Sqoop, Spark, MLib, GraphX, and Dataframes)
- Parallel/distributed computing
- Background in geospatial data science
- Project Management experience (3+ years)
- Prior Intelligence Community work experience
- CI polygraph taken within past 5 years
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about Southeast Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com/raleigh/