At ARA, we strive to hire valuable colleagues with not only the right skills, but who also demonstrate our core values of passion, freedom, service and growth. As a DevSecOps Engineer on our team, you are the backbone of our strategic initiatives and will be responsible for developing technology critical to the success of our projects as well as national security.
This position supports the long-running NuCS project as part of ARA’s NESA directorate. This directorate is responsible for nuclear analyses including EMP testing, missile defense, high-powered electromagnetics, nuclear hardening and survivability, and model creation and validation. Based out of Raleigh, NC this position is part of a multi-disciplinary collaborative team of physicists and software engineers delivering the next generation of cloud and web-enabled physics modeling software.
As a valued team contributor, your tasks will include creating new and updating existing Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment DevSecOps pipelines, automating provisioning of build VM’s, addressing security findings found in SAST/DAST/Image Scans, and much more. The perfect person for this opportunity should be driven to complement our scientific software development teams, being ready to support multiple teams developing both Windows and Linux-based applications.
Due to the work you’ll perform and interactions with the intelligence community and DoD programs you must be a US citizen and will need to be eligible to apply for and hold a US Security Clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment).
Staff DevSecOps Engineer Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science along with 2-4 years of related experience OR 8 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
Staff DevSecOps Engineer Required Technology & Skills:
We want to hear from candidates who are passionate and driven to continuously learn and succeed, you demonstrate this by possessing an extensive background in 3 or more of the following as well as demonstrating a strong desire to learn 3 or more of these skill sets:
- CI system (Jenkins, GitLab, or equivalent)
- VMWare virtual machines (Desktop and ESXi)
- Java, C++, C#, and Python + Shell scripting experience (Bash)
- 2+ years Linux experience (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu preferred)
- 1+ years experience with Docker containerization
- Experience with Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket + 2+ years Git experience
- You will be working closely with a collaborative team so your team player personality and excellent written/oral communication skills will be essential
Preferred Experience & Skills as a Staff DevSecOps Engineer:
Above all, we value passion, a desire to learn, and teamwork. We are confident that if you possess the right attitude, work ethic, and skillset that you could succeed in this role. In addition to the experience and skills above, if you have any of the following you will be able to accelerate your effectiveness and impact.
- Experience working with REST APIs via curl and Postman
- Experience mitigating security vulnerabilities (CVE, etc)
- Experience with Static and Dynamic Code Analysis (SAST/DAST)
- Experience with Container image scanning
- Experience working with software dependency management tools (Maven, Gradle, Ruby Gems, NPM/Yarn)
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code (Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- Experience working in a modern software lifecycle (Agile, etc)
- Experience with code repositories (Bitbucket/GitHub/GitLab)
- Working DevSecOps in air-gapped classified environments
- Kubernetes experience (defining YAML files, Rancher/RKE/K3S, Openshift/OKD, Tanzu)
- Self-starter, able to get tasks done with minimal assistance
- A strong desire to continuously learn new technology
- A solid understanding of the difference between DevOps and DevSecOps
- Security clearance (minimum able to obtain DoD Top Secret)
- Test automation experience (Selenium or equivalent)
- Behavior Driven Development (Cucumber, Gherkin)
- Cloud experience (AWS, Azure, etc)
- Relevant Certifications: Security+ or CEH
- Portfolio of projects on GitHub
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,400 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) versus polish notation (PN) in numerical programming!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) & 401(k) with matching program, benefits package which includes medical, dental vision, flex spending, telehealth services, company-paid life & disability insurance including paid maternity disability leave through our company-paid short-term disability benefit, domestic partner coverage, dependent care flex spending, daycare discounts, pet insurance, relocation opportunities, floating holidays, tuition reimbursement, professional development as well as flexible schedules with remote/work from home options. ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.