Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems. We are looking for a software engineer to join our team building models to predict social behaviors after a significant catastrophic event.
This role will be embedded in the Nuclear Environments and Systems Assessments (NESA) directorate within ARA. The project you will be working on will develop algorithms and prototypes to compute the societal impact of significant disruption events primarily in the Java programming language. You will be responsible for transferring prototype algorithms into production-ready Java code.
We are looking for a strong engineer that is inspired to build solutions that support our nation’s military.
Due to the work you’ll perform and interactions with intelligence community and DoD programs you must be a US citizen and will need to be eligible to apply for and hold a US security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment).
Remote work is available until COVID restrictions are lifted.
As a valued team contributor your tasks will include data analysis, model development, code modification, validation and verification exercises, automation of testing processes, and much more. The perfect person for this opportunity should be driven to complement our scientific software development teams, being ready to create Java-based software to simulate critical infrastructure response to disruption.
Staff R&D Software Engineer Responsibilities:
- Developing software, algorithms, and tests using Object Oriented Programming in Java.
- Transferring prototype algorithms from academic partners into production-ready Java code
- Work closely with subject matter experts to design and implement simulation models of various fidelity
- Design and develop software utilities and execution tools to facilitate various simulation deployment strategies.
- Design, update and maintain design specification and end-user documentation
- Support testing, evaluation, and demonstrations of systems in unclassified and classified environments
- Keep a customer-focused mindset
Staff R&D Software Engineer Required Experience & Skills:
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Electrical / Computer Engineering, or equivalent field
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience including Java programming
- Proficiency in Java 11
- Proficiency with the following software development tools: Jira, Confluence, Eclipse or IntelliJ, Ant, JUnit, Java 11
- Must have experience developing in Linux and Windows environments as well as Git version control software
- Knowledge of agent-based modeling and simulation systems
- Ability to provide solutions to a variety of technical problems of increasing scope and complexity
- Experience working in a fast-paced research/prototyping environment
- Candidates must be independent, self-motivated, and have excellent technical, communication, and presentation skills
- Candidate must be able to work with little supervision, including setting and achieving interim milestones that support higher task objectives
Preferred Experience & Skills as a Staff R&D Software Engineer :
Above all, we value passion, a desire to learn, and teamwork. We are confident that if you possess the right attitude, work ethic, and skillset that you could succeed in the role. In addition to the experience and skills above, if you have any of the following you will be able to accelerate your effectiveness and impact.
- M.S. Degree in Computer Science, Electrical / Computer Engineering, or equivalent field
- Experience building large-scaled agent-based modeling and simulation systems
- Experience with weapon effects or other related DoD software systems and models
- Programming experience in C/C++, Python
- Interest in data science, data analysis, data visualization, and mathematical algorithms
- Experience working on DoD programs
- Prior/existing security clearance
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about Southeast Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com/raleigh/