Join our team of IT professionals providing support to a large group of software developers and engineers. Our IT support staff are valued members of the team tasked with work that is critical to the success of our projects.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is seeking professionals with a background in Information Technology support for an exciting opportunity as a Staff Systems Administrator with our IT Department. The successful applicant will become a member of a Support team that provides tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 level support to several divisions within ARA and approximately 600 users, in addition to providing secure computing support directly to government contracts.
The successful applicant will maintain data files and control procedures for a complex system of networked computers or for a single group of microcomputers linked to a host workstation, or mainframe. Responsible for system security and data integrity. Assign passwords, monitor the use of resources, backs up files as required, and respond to management requests for information. Provide technical guidance to lesser-experienced systems administrators.
Staff Systems Administrator Required Skills:
- U.S. Citizen with eligibility to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree along with 2-4 years related experience OR High School Diploma with 8-10 years relevant experience
- Intermediate knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Intermediate knowledge of VMWare
- Intermediate knowledge of Windows Server management
- Experience working with server class hardware, preferably Dell
- Basic knowledge of networking
- Experience managing an Enterprise backup solution
- Experience using the following:
- Active Directory, LDAP, Apache, NGNX, SSL, RBAC
- Some storage management experience, preferably Dell
- Strong oral & written communication skills
- Excel as a team player and strive to maximize team & department performance
Staff Systems Administrator Position Preferences:
- Bachelor’s degree; 3.0 GPA or better
- Experience with the following tools
- Avamar, Atlassian, Ansible, any Vulnerability Management tool
- Self-directed, detail oriented, problem solver
- Any applicable certification, preferably Microsoft
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) calculator!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), benefits package, relocation opportunities, and a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.