Radio Frequency (RF) Engineering Intern
Summary and Objective
As part of our recent merger with Blue Halo, Applied Technology Associates (ATA) is making substantial corporate investments to build out new mission area capabilities in Advanced Radio Frequency (RF) Systems. The Advanced Radio Frequency Systems (ARFS) group at ATA is dedicated to developing next-generation digital beamformed phased arrays for the U.S. warfighter. ARFS provides novel solutions to customer needs enabling multi-band, multi-mission capabilities in the telemetry, electronic warfare, and communication defense markets while leveraging commercially available technology. As an emerging technology area at ATA, the ARFS group is quickly growing capabilities based on a core set of personnel that has extensive experience developing and fielding RF systems for Department of Defense (DoD) customers.
A qualified candidate has a background and interest in RF systems including antennas, filters, and amplifiers. The candidate should be a current engineering student in a 4-year accredited engineering program, with a strong desire to learn about phased array antenna systems and more specifically digital beam forming techniques and systems for military applications.
The successful candidate will report as an engineer within ATA’s systems engineering group.
· Supporting modeling and simulation tools for phased array antennas to provide system estimates for cascaded system noise temperature, phase noise, phased array scan performance, etc.
· Supporting system assembly, integration, and test activities for digitally beamformed phased array antennas in Albuquerque, New Mexico
· Developing automated test routines and processes to facilitate mass production of lower level beamforming components and sub-systems
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in professional and secure office and laboratory environment. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, fax machines, and other equipment as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with flexible work hours based on program needs and employee work/life balance.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be required.
Required Education and Experience
· Two years completed of a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Physics from an accredited four-year university
· Desire to pursue a career in RF engineering for Phased Array Antennas
· Must be a U.S. citizen able to obtain and maintain a U.S. DoD Clearance
Preferred Education and Experience
· Completion of core electromagnetic course work supporting a basic understanding of RF systems and antennas
· Experience with Altium Designer for schematic capture and layout of RF circuit card assemblies
· Design experience in full-wall electromagnetic simulation tools such as CST Microwave Studio® or Ansys high-frequency structure simulator (HFSS) to design antennas and microwave structures
· Experience designing and implementing planar microwave structures such as: transmission lines, filters, and impedance transformers
· Cascaded RF circuit analysis background for noise figure, phase noise, and P1dB system modeling
· Background with frequency converters for block up/down conversion in phased array antennas
· Familiarity with digital beamformed phased array systems and components
· Current U.S. DoD Clearance
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Affirmative Action Program and Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Applied Technology Associates (ATA) prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ATA conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Please send all resumes, including cover letters, to Human Resources at Applied Technology Associates, 1300 Britt Street SE, Albuquerque, NM 87123. You may also fax them to (505) 998-2397 or e-mail them to ATAJobs@atacorp.com. PLEASE REFER TO DOCKET ATA20201229.