The Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD) of the CCDC Army Research Laboratory has an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in an accredited Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree program to perform research onsite at SEDD facilities during the summer of 2021.
Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate conducts scientific research and technology development in advanced electro-optical technologies; flexible electronics; advanced RF technologies; electronic materials and devices; autonomous sensing; micro autonomous technologies; hybrid electric vehicle, platform, and pulse power; directed energy; and micro, Soldier, and portable power.
Research opportunities exist for Summer Fellows in the following disciplines: physics, electrical engineering, computer science, chemical engineering, materials science, and electrochemistry.
Locations: Adelphi Laboratory Center, Maryland; Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland; ARL-West, ARL-South, ARL-Central, ARL-North East
U.S. Citizenship is not required to be considered for as Summer Student Experience Fellow with SEDD, but non-U.S. Citizens are strongly encouraged to apply early to allow additional processing time for the ORAU immigration office and ARL security.
About the Program
CCDC Army Research Laboratory (ARL) Research Associateship Program (RAP) Summer Student Experience is an educational program that allows undergraduate through PhD students and recent Bachelor and Master’s degree graduates to participate in a paid research experience at a Department of Defense laboratory over the summer break.
A candidate must be in good standing (a minimum of a 2.5 GPA) at an accredited university or technical institute, and in an academic program leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree.
Scientists and engineers at ARL help shape and execute the Army’s program for meeting the challenge of developing technologies that will support Army forces in meeting future operational needs.
Students can participant in research in one of the following areas:
- Computational and Information Sciences Directorate (CISD)
- Human Research and Engineering Directorate (HRED)
- Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD)
- Vehicle Technology Directorate (VTD)
- Weapons and Materials Research Directorate (WMRD)
Second Round Application Deadline: Sunday, February 28, 2021
The following must be uploaded into the online application:
- Resume – Please list your relevant coursework and lab work on your resume as well as all papers, presentations, or publications you may have authored or co-authored. Include any reprints or abstracts if they are available.
- Transcripts – Transcript verifying receipt of degree/or identifying current enrollment. Original student copies are acceptable.
- Statement of Interest – Write a one-page description of your scientific research experience. Please include references to your lab work as well as any relevant academic coursework. How does this experience intersect with your personal and professional goals?
- References – Reference forms are not required for the Summer Student Experience, but names and contact information for references are part of the online application. During the review process, some Advisor/Selecting Officials may contact references for further evaluation.