Atlas Obscura is hiring an Editorial Fellow to write and report stories about history, science, culture, travel, and more—anything that inspires wonder and curiosity about the world. As an Editorial Fellow, you’ll write short articles as well as longer, more deeply reported pieces, and contribute to our global guide of wondrous places. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
This entry-level position is paid, offers benefits, and lasts one year, from a start date of July 1, 2021. Atlas Obscura is a remote-first company that encourages exploration, so the role only requires reliable internet access and the ability to work within the continental United States. At Atlas Obscura we also believe exploration is for everyone and encourage diverse applicants. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
- Brainstorming, researching, reporting, and writing stories that convey a sense of wonder and surprise
- Contributing and editing writeups and themed lists to our global guide of wondrous places
- Pitching in across departments to provide editorial support
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Some applicable writing and journalism education or experience
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Curiosity and excitement about science, history, exploration, and discovery
- Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder in our audience
- Photo-research skills or food-photography skills are a plus
You’ll Get Noticed If:
- You’re an idea-generating machine
- You’re knowledgeable about any of the subjects we cover
- You have a fresh perspective on the world
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world’s hidden wonders, the company also creates insightful journalism, offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing companies. Having raised a $20M Series B led by Airbnb last summer, Atlas Obscura is well-positioned for growth.
Please apply here with a résumé, cover letter, and three work samples (links or PDFs). https://atlasobscura.applytojob.com/apply/jm84hlfFsA/Editorial-Fellow