AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work in 2019.
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone’s life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident’s stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values – A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement – set us apart.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), in the business of acquiring, selling, constructing, developing, redeveloping and managing high-quality apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas primarily in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northern and Southern California regions of the United States. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are looking for a Senior Staff Accountant to sit in our Virginia Beach, VA office.
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for preparing, analyzing and reporting results to AvalonBay management. The Senior Accounting Staff also works with the RS Accounting Manager to ensure that departmental deadlines are met timely and accurately.
- Train and coach new or seasoned associates
- Review staff accountants’ work and variance explanations to ensure monthly reporting and operational deadlines are met by assisting RS Accounting Manager in coordinating departmental activities.
- Performs operational activities to support AvalonBay business functions, such as operation revenue and expense variance analysis, process journal entires, report to lending institutions and/or joint venture partners, internal and external audits, utility analytics, asses capitalization and depreciation analytics, asset acquisition and disposition support and assess financial risk for prospective retail tenants.
- Review agreements and contracts to ensure compliance in reporting and payment obligations.
- Effectively create and utilize system reports from GL, AR, and vendor websites.
- Respond to financial inquiries and requests from AvalonBay business units.
- All other tasks as assigned by the manager.
The Senior Staff Accountant will be required to have an Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited business school.
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach, and mentor staff.
- Prior experience in reviewing and critiquing other assocaites’ assignments.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong knowlege of Microsoft Office products
- Advanced Excel skills required with VB Macro experience a plus.
- Superior time management and organizational skills as well as demonstrated ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under strict deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong analytical skills
- Possesses a strong sense of teamwork and work ethic.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule (some overtime may be required).
- Strong customer focus.