The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
Technical Intern – Enterprise Solutions Architect
Join us in guiding and building the future state of the Ball Aerospace enterprise IT environment! The Enterprise Solutions Architect Internship position engages with the Enterprise Architecture team on a variety of strategic deliverables and project design activities to move the company towards strategic objectives. Activities may include helping define and model our business capability model, managing and defining our application portfolio, guiding the design process and ensuring proper design rigor for various strategic projects, assisting with vendor/application selections to make the best choice for the business need, and much more. This position has wide visibility across the IT landscape and the opportunity to assist and improve in many areas from software development, infrastructure design, application and integration design, business and technical requirements, etc. We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual with interest in both business and technical topics, a desire to communicate and learn from many different teams within ITS, and a “big thinker” willing to promote new ideas. As a member of the Enterprise Architecture and Innovation team, this role ensures IT efforts are aligned in building a future state that realizes required business capabilities while ensuring a supportable, documented, and efficient application environment geared towards our long-term goals and cloud ambitions.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist in setup and proper usage of a new Enterprise Architecture toolset to improve the maturity and effectiveness of our IT processes.
- Understand, catalog, document the overall application portfolio, IT and business priorities and success measures. Assist in building a roadmap to modernize and streamline the portfolio to meet evolving business needs.
- Develop business relationships to understand internal business customer requirements, goals and constraints.
- Utilize “Business Architecture” principles to define and map required business capabilities to applications and systems. Assist in building a Business Capability map to drive decision making based on investment goals, business need, cloud readiness, risk, and other data-driven factors.
- Understand and offer improvements to our Software (both on premises and SaaS) governance process.
- Assist in improving our strategies for leveraging cloud platforms in the application portfolio.
- Assist in creation of governance practices, standards, and strategies, including Cloud Security Audits, Mobile Strategies, Vendor Assessments, Technology Readiness, Roadmaps, Business Capability Maps, and Solution Architectural Diagrams.
- Develop subject matter expertise focused on BATC Engineering and Business system capabilities.
- Participate in innovation management activities: research, suggest, evaluate, rank, oversee proof-of-concept activities, and transfer knowledge of appropriate new technologies into the broader IT environment.
- Work with software, database, and systems architects to align detailed technology-based standards to higher-level enterprise standards and philosophies.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2021. We will also accept students enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field is preferred.
- Understanding of layers of multi-tier enterprise application systems, including SQL databases, web application servers, middleware, development languages (C#, Java).
- Understanding of Cloud platform concepts (Azure, AWS, etc.)
- Proven ability to work independently and on own initiative.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are crucial, as well as ability to think clearly & analyze quantitatively.
- Detail oriented, and ability to meet, and exceed, quality standards.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to determine an appropriate level of detail given project milestones.
- Excellent planning, organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Manage and execute projects with a strong bias for action; ability to effectively prioritize projects and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to juggle many tasks and projects simultaneously in a fast-moving environment and must be a self-starter who is excited and curious about improving the business.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.