Bandcamp is seeking a talented software engineer to help us improve upon and extend the capabilities of our payments software. You’ll have significant opportunities to have a meaningful impact, helping fans pay the artists they love.
We’re an online record store and music community where passionate fans discover, connect with, and directly support the artists they love. Artists have earned over a half-billion dollars on Bandcamp. We believe that music is an indispensable part of culture, and for that culture to survive, artists must be compensated fairly and transparently for their work.
The Payments team ensures that money moves securely and smoothly through Bandcamp’s systems, which now process millions of transactions a day (and counting!). We work to create scalable, frictionless, and secure checkout experiences and to maintain our integrations with 3rd party payments platforms, enabling new and better ways for fans to pay artists. We think long and hard about database transactions, concurrency, performance, resiliency, security, and more! This role encompasses many interesting challenges and requires special diligence and an eye for details.
- Guide development of the team’s vision, oversee its projects, and shepherd its standards and processes.
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, product and support experts to build payments-related features
- Design and build elegant, highly performant code that makes you proud
- Work as a generalist, taking ownership of tasks from database to interface (or vice versa, as you prefer)
- Balance your attention to detail with the desire to release improvements and new features
- Offer opinions on technical decisions and directions, while being open to the opinions of others
- Have the opportunity to mentor less experienced engineers (and maybe those who are more experienced!), on your areas of expertise
You have most if not all of the following skills, talents, experience and interests:
- Experience leading a team, and an interest in developing or strengthening your people management skills (formal management experience welcome but
- not required).
- Recent experience building, extending, and tuning payments code for online marketplaces
- A love of ruby, or extensive experience with another object-oriented language, eg. Java, Python
- A desire to work collaboratively on cross-disciplinary teams
Great! Use this link to apply and we’ll get back to you soon. We’re posting this role first with communities that prioritize diversity so you won’t see it yet on Bandcamp’s jobs page. To find out more about Bandcamp and how we hire, check out https://bandcamp.com/jobs.