Barrel is a creative and digital marketing agency. We work with growing brands to build digital platforms and launch marketing campaigns. Clients include L’Oreal, Amazon, Barry’s, Well+Good, Dr. Jart+, and Scholastic as well as various emerging consumer lifestyle brands.
As a distributed team you can work from anywhere as long as you are able to work for the majority of our Eastern Time work hours of 10AM to 6PM.
We are looking for a Director of Software Engineering to lead the department and help our team build products that allow us to scale. You’ll manage our portfolio of products, develop new products to support new capabilities, and ensure all internal systems and tools operate securely and effectively.
To be successful in this role, you should be confident in managing a team of software engineers. You will oversee all software development plans from ideation to execution within given budget and timeline constraints.
Currently our team delivers amazing frontend experiences using webpack, ES6+ modular JS, VueJS/NuxtJS, Svelte, PostCSS, TailWindCSS, and more. Many of our clients’ websites are built on WordPress and Shopify. While leveraging platforms like builder.io, prismic.io, and Contentful, you will have the opportunity to shape how we use innovative technologies to maximize our team’s enjoyment, productivity, and efficiency.
- Oversee front-end and back-end software engineering teams and their projects
- Monitor reliability and performance of all internal systems and tools to suggest improvements or create new systems
- Ensure compliance with data privacy and security regulations for software development
- Manage software engineering backlogs by assigning tasks to best-fit engineers, helping to set requirements for projects, establishing team goals, and setting engineering standards
- Design strategies for future development projects based on the company’s overall objectives, business strategy, and resources
- Hire engineers and coordinate their training
- Implement innovative technologies that optimize for delivery, quality, team cohesion, developer enablement, and client satisfaction
- Review and update policies relevant to internal systems and tools
- Coordinate with other team leaders to align on typical approaches to software development
- Work experience as a director or similar senior-level position in a software engineering department
- Extensive experience with cloud technologies and modern human-computer interfaces
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development
- Good understanding of at least one major software development methodology from agile (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban) or non-agile (Waterfall)
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind
- Excellent project management skills for building internal systems
- BSc/MSc in Engineering, Computer Science or similar relevant field experience
Barrel offers competitive salary, health/dental/vision coverage, paid vacation, half-day Fridays all year round, remote home setup stipend, profit sharing, 401k match, and a professional development stipend. Most importantly, we work on projects that truly impact our clients’ businesses and attract team members who love to be challenged with tough problems and fast-paced work.