As one of the nation’s largest mentoring agency, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts (BBBSEM) is committed to promoting the healthy development of children through the nurturing of continuing, one-to-one friendships with caring responsible adults, supported by trained professional staff. Our work is both impactful and urgent so we are constantly looking for the best team members to join our mission.
Our BBBSEM internships provide a unique opportunity to gain knowledge of how a nonprofit agency works and operates, as well as tangible learning, knowledge and professional skills experience by working within different functions at our agency.
The Program Services Intern will work alongside Enrollment and Match Support Coordinators to assist in the enrollment of volunteers and youth as well as match support of over 1,500 “Big/Little” relationships. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the not for profit sector and gain exposure to youth mentoring programs.
- Actively participate as a member of Program Services and the BBBSEM team
- Utilize critical thinking and interview techniques for conducting behavioral assessments
- Create thoughtful, organized, and official written documentation of “Bigs” and “Littles”
- Reference leading mentoring research and best practices to help create, support, and facilitate mentor relationships between “Bigs” and Littles”
- Assist the Program Team in the organization of special events and programming (School-Based, Campus-Based, etc)
- Display professionalism and the ability to work in a goal-driven work setting by hitting specific work completion targets
- Participate in regular supervision, team meetings, and agency wide learning initiatives
- Provide other administrative support as needed
- Must be a current college student and enrolled in school
- Minimum GPA of 2.75
- Availability to work at 12-15 flexible hours per week for the duration of the school semester.
- Must be available to work occasional evening hours
- Must be available to work from our downtown office
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs (excel, powerpoint, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service; volunteer coordination experience a plus
- Excellent professional writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills; familiarity with Salesforce is a plus
- Ability to successfully work independently and in a team environment
- Strong time-management skills and ability to be self-motivated
- Enthusiasm, creativity, a positive sense of humor, and a “can do” attitude
- Access to reliable transportation to attend night or weekend meetings/events; access to a car and a valid driver’s license preferred
- Bi-lingual (Spanish speaking) candidates strongly encouraged to apply