At Biogen, our mission is clear – we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experience professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a full-time 6-month co-op from January to June 2022.
The Discovery and Early Development Biomarkers group, part of Biogen’s Research and Development department, supports the identification and quantification of preclinical and clinical biomarkers for programs across Biogen’s portfolio. The group focuses on fluid biomarkers predominantly in blood and cerebral spinal fluid as indicators of target engagement and pharmacodynamic response of downstream biology for our therapeutics as well as markers of disease. This information has been utilized to halt ineffective therapeutics and highlight more promising candidates to accelerate our overall goal of providing benefit to patients.
We are seeking a highly motivated co-op student to complete a discovery-based project focused on the development of next-generation neurodevelopmental disorder and neurodegenerative disease fluid biomarkers. In this position, you will:
- Learn laboratory skills in high profile, cutting edge techniques including SIMOA and MSD assays
- Gain experience in the assay development process from sample preparation to data analysis
- Have the opportunity to attend Biomarker group meetings and internal collaborative meetings
- Present results to internal stakeholders
- Learn the science behind assays with high potential impact to Biogen programs and the important role of biomarkers in the drug development process
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
The ideal candidate will be a PhD-student with experience in biofluid assays. Students pursuing a master’s degree or undergraduates are also welcomed to apply and will be considered. As a co-op you should:
- Have a strong desire to learn and enthusiasm for science
- Have a science/biology background with laboratory experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Comfortable working independently
- Well-organized with excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
PhD-level student in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Neurobiology, Neuropsychology, or related fields preferred. Students pursuing a master’s degree or undergraduates are welcome to apply.