Chaplain/Religion and Philosophy Department Chair
Blair Academy, 2021
School Setting: Blair Academy is a co-educational, grade 9-postgraduate boarding school situated on 460 hilltop acres just minutes from the Delaware Water Gap and approximately one hour west of New York City. The school is 80 percent boarding, possesses exceptional facilities and faculty housing, and is committed to the continuing education of the faculty. Learn more about our campus and programs at the School’s website at www.blair.edu.
Position Available: Blair Academy announces an opening for a Chaplain and Religion/Philosophy teacher.
The strongest applicants will have the following qualifications:
- A master’s level theological degree or equivalent clinical training in chaplaincy, public worship, or liturgical planning is required; ordination is preferred.
- Ability to serve as the Chair of the Religion & Philosophy Department
- Experience serving in a pastoral role for adolescents
- A strong commitment to collaborating with colleagues to create curricular materials.
Typical job responsibilities include:
- Serving as a multi-faith spiritual counselor and offering pastoral care to students and faculty;
- Overseeing spiritual programs including weekly Chapel and annual multi-faith vespers program; organizing and presiding over Convocation and Baccalaureate service;
- Teaching two elective courses in the fall and two-three courses in the spring focusing on topics such as world religions, ethics, philosophy, service-learning or other interdisciplinary courses
- Coaching or assisting with a sport or activity for 1 season;
- Advising a group of 6 to 8 students;
- Providing weekly supervision for boarding students;
- Ensuring faculty oversight to various student faith-based groups (e.g, Christian Fellowship, Jewish Union) and maintaining budgets/oversee expenses of these groups;
- Participating in various committee work including serving on the School’s Inclusivity Committee.
We seek candidates who:
- Respond to feedback with a growth-oriented mindset
- Embrace inquiry, discussion, and collaboration as methods for teaching and learning
- Practice cultural responsiveness and demonstrate an appreciation for how our students’ identities may inform their behavior and performance
- Marry a passion for content area with investment in evidence-based teaching strategies
- Wish to be a part of a collaborative team
- Will approach every aspect of our shared work as a way to build and deepen relationships, since building relationships is at the heart of everything we do at Blair
- Are motivated to help our students meet their aims by maintaining high standards while also practicing care and flexibility
- Demonstrate an investment in helping to build our community as one that is supportive, healthy, inclusive and diverse
- Show an ability to juggle multiple priorities and responsibilities
- Enjoy working with adolescent students, in particular
How to Apply: First, send your résumé and a letter of interest to Lorry Perry, Dean of Faculty, at email@example.com, followed by another e-mail with transcripts (which may be unofficial) and three professional references.
Blair Academy seeks and supports faculty members who enliven and strengthen our community through their contributions to our classrooms, extracurricular activities and their desire to bring people together in a welcoming, inclusive community. We are committed to hiring people from a diversity of backgrounds. We do not discriminate against any applicants, as we ensure equal employment opportunities for all.