- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas is the largest nonprofit health insurer in the United States and is committed to bringing an innovation and data-driven mindset to improving the health and well-being of its over 16 million members. We have made significant advances in delivering new data and machine learning based capabilities and these changes are fueling our technology-forward strategy. It’s an exciting time to join as many of our data science teams are rapidly growing and dedicated to solving meaningful healthcare problems.
Why Intern with Blue Cross and Blue Shield?
- We have multiple data science roles available. Our hiring process will match you with a team and role that best fits your career interests and skills.
- During our 10-week Summer program, we will empower you with the best technical tools that will enable you to collaborate with business partners in an exciting industry full of possibilities.
- In addition to challenging, real-world projects, you will have the opportunity to join weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders, professional development workshops, involvement in Business Resource Groups, and plenty of volunteer activities.
- Even better, most of our data science interns have accepted full-time offers to return to Blue Cross and Blue Shield!
Data Science Intern
- As an intern, you will use large quantities of data on a data science project that has the potential to positively impact our members’ health care access, affordability, and outcomes. We use large quantities of data to assess the effectiveness of clinical interventions, improve the efficiency of our operating processes, and identify and implement solutions to tailor our plans to better meet our members’ needs.
What skills will make you successful in this internship?
- Analytical mindset and excellent problem-solving skills Innovation, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking
- Enthusiasm to enhance your own professional and personal development
- Entrepreneurial spirit and initiative to handle business problems
- Strong communication skills
- Crave continuous learning and participate in knowledge exchange with peers
- Passion and desire to learn the ins and outs of the health care industry.
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in a Quantitative, Computational or related field
- Preferred: Enrolled in a Master’s or Ph.D. program in a Quantitative, Computational or related field, or has previous healthcare, data science, or technology-related internship experience
- Preferred: Is familiar with R, Python, or other languages commonly used for data science
- Preferred: Experience with SQL, Hive, or other SQL-like query languages
- Understand machine learning, statistical analysis and data visualization practices
- Graduation date between August 2021 – June 2022
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
What Does the Data Science Internship Program Entail?
- Coffee chats with data science leaders Social events with the broader data science community
- An experienced data scientist assigned to you as a mentor
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real-world hands-on projects
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities
Do you want to dive right in and solve interesting and challenging healthcare problems with data science? If your answer is yes, join us!
** This position is based in Chicago, IL. **