Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we are striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
The Operations Portfolio team within Blue Shield of California provides robust solutions for our business partners, providers and members which improve the overall health care experience from claims processing to benefit enrollment. The Application Development, Senior, will report to the IT Development Manager in the Operations Portfolio. In this role you will participate in an Agile team as an integration and Interoperability developer, creating/enhancing real-time and or near real-time web services/API, driving quality and supportability as well as test automation in the overall process.
In this role, you will:
- Adopt and apply software engineering concepts and processes to software development
- Provide input to designs and technical specifications
- Develop user interfaces and application programs using the technical specifications and design documents provided
- Tests, debugs, and maintains code according to the technical specifications
- Provide knowledge transfer to less experienced staff
- Improve the reliability and utilization of systems and applications
- Monitor software configuration changes to anticipate and address the impact of data reliability and customer satisfaction issues
- Coordinate sustaining support for 1-2 application platforms or business processes
- Demonstrate leadership skills on services development, services adoption and service governance
- Proactively addresses potential system issues to meet or exceed established timelines and delivers service within budget constraints and seeks ways to reduce application related costs
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Requires at least 5 years of experience in computer related support field
- Desired experience with Facets and Healthcare knowledge
- Requires 5 years of Java Development Experience. REST API real-time API development experience
- Experience working in an Agile environment a plus. Deep knowledge of the software development life cycle in general required
- Experience in rolling out container-based solutions (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Proficiency with Java IDEs (e.g. IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, STS)
- Proficiency with development tool environments (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
- Proficiency with Version Control tools (e.g. Bitbucket, Git, SVN)
- Extensive experience with Oracle and JDBC.
- Experience with Full Stack development and microservices
- Familiar with standard software development tools, including source version control (Git/Bitbucket), defect tracking, documentation, and testing systems (writing Junit test cases using Camel and Mockito).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Hands on experiences in IBM API Connect, Gateway Script, IBM Data Power, OAUTH, Open ID and FHIR a plus
- Must be self-directed, highly organized, and adaptable
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we’re going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals