Internship @ BCNC
Objectives of Internship
- Apply Classroom Theory to day-to-day Financial Accounting processes and procedures
Supervised practical work experience of a nonprofit accountant
- Personal Development
Operating office or computer equipment; handling a variety of situations simultaneously; organizing and analyzing data, records, or budgets; improving teamwork, writing, and speaking abilities and hands-on learning Accounting software
- Skill Development
Will be able to identify clear examples of leadership styles that either promote good working relationships or hinder a productive work environment. Will experience how to deal with pressure, tension, and praise in work relationships. Learn how to communicate knowledge to customers, supervisors, and peers. Will get experience of when to speak and when to listen. Will get an understanding of BCNC’s organizational chart (formal and informal). Will be able to examine typical career paths in Accounting and Finance.
Will learn about laws, taxes, and fringe benefits that are important to employees in this field and to nonprofit employees. Will understand the personal satisfactions and rewards in the field of accounting. You will be able to obtain knowledge of job opportunities available in this field or get valuable experience that is transferable to other industries and positions in the field.
Outline of duties
- Learn the difference between Revenue for nonprofit and profit companies such as Restricted, Unrestricted and Partially Restricted Revenue
- Enter different types of gifts’ and grants into Raisers Edge Software System
- Perform Daily QuickBooks functions such as: Invoicing, Accounts Payable
- Perform End of Month Balance sheet Reconciliations
- Perform monthly reconciliation of Bank Statements
- Assist with Board of Director Monthly Reporting Package
- Develop Project Budgets for large Grant Funding opportunities
- Analyze projects as they come up
- Assist with preparation for year-end audit and 990 taxes
Supervisor – David Jacobs
Director of Finance & Administration
Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center, Inc.
617-635-5129 x1062 • 885 Washington St. Boston, MA 02111 • www.bcnc.net