Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB) is a successful college access and teacher training program. BTGB offers six years of academic enrichment and college preparation to middle school and high school students with high potential but limited opportunities. Simultaneously, BTGB recruits, trains and inspires a diverse cohort of high achieving college students to become the next generation of urban teachers. Using a Students Teaching Students model, BTGB provides engaging, tuition-free academic programming during the summer and after school. Our students gain the skills and motivation to succeed in rigorous high school courses and ultimately in college. Meanwhile, our teachers gain hands-on experience, research-based training and coaching from professional educators.
Over the past six years, 97% of our graduating students have matriculated to four-year colleges, and 82% of them have persisted through their undergraduate years. On average, more than 75% of our graduating teachers have gone on to pursue careers in education. After two decades of success at our original Cambridge site, BTGB embarked upon a significant program expansion and opened a second site in Boston in summer 2013 and a third site in Somerville in 2018.
The Summer Program Fellow will gain hands-on experience in nonprofit management at a successful nonprofit. BTGB is seeking to hire one Summer Program Fellow at each of its sites in Cambridge, Boston and Somerville. The Summer Program Fellow will be supervised by a Summer Program Director. Breakthrough’s 2021 Summer Program will be fully remote and all responsibilities for the Summer Program Fellow role will be completed remotely.
- Coordinate student assessment efforts throughout Summer Program
- Manage and analyze student attendance and academic data
- Support students as needed with technology throughout instructional time
- Coordinate additional supply needs/deliveries
- Support Directors in planning regular Teaching Fellow appreciation events
- Serve as a substitute teacher as needed
- Monitor student engagement during clubs
- Create interventions to support students with successful homework completion
- Supervise homework support programming and lunch community time
- Lead the planning and coordination of a successful daily Community Meeting
- Help plan and lead Friday special events and Celebration
- Support with family communications
- Support as needed with calls, advising and academic support for students enrolled in Breakthrough’s self-paced asynchronous program
- Attend a pre-summer training session for Program Fellows
Please note that these are specific responsibilities. Your job may include a number of other tasks as well, as Breakthrough programs thrive on flexibility, creativity, and a willingness to pitch in!
- An unwavering commitment to equity, in deepening your personal understanding and in advancing our collective work
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in all work; attention to detail
- Strong communicator (both oral and written)
- Organized individual who is able to manage both short-term and long-term projects
- Ability to make decisions independently combined with ability to work collaboratively
- Capability to thrive and take initiative in a success-driven environment with a commitment to high standards of excellence, responsibility, and accountability
- Demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of BTGB; comfort and willingness to actively participate in the community
- Experience working with youth
- Experience in educational settings a plus
- Prior experience with Breakthrough model highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
Programming for all three Breakthrough Greater Boston campuses will be remote this summer. All pre-summer trainings, academic classes, and staff meetings will happen on Zoom and Nearpod.
Summer Program Hours
10:00 – 2:00 Monday – Thursday
10:00 – 12:00 Friday
The Summer Program Fellow’s exact hours will be mutually decided upon by the Fellow and Breakthrough Summer Director.
The Summer Program Fellow is a paid position, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston and relevant skills/experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Summer Program Fellow.” If you are only interested in applying for one site (Boston, Cambridge or Somerville), please include that in your cover letter. Otherwise, your application will be considered for all sites. We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will begin to fill positions immediately, so it is best to submit your application as soon as possible.
For more information, please visit www.breakthroughgreaterboston.org.
Candidates for employment and employees are considered without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, citizenship, military status, gender identity, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Thank you for your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston!