Looking to gain writing experience and clips this fall? Do you have a background in and passion for science? Are you interested in working behind the scenes with an award-winning communication team to engage the Brigham and Women’s Hospital community and beyond through purposeful and passionate storytelling?
The Brigham’s Office of Strategic Communication is looking for a science writing intern to join the team remotely this fall. Through this internship, the intern will work directly with and support the senior science communication specialist (or a designated team member) to find, assess and write stories about cutting-edge Brigham research and innovation. The successful candidate will support both the media relations and enterprise communication teams in a wide variety of activities. Writing assignments will include articles to appear in Brigham communication publications (including Brigham Clinical & Research News) and will cover topics in the basic, translational and clinical sciences. The science writing intern will also complete research briefs on newly published research papers on a range of scientific and medical subjects. There will also be opportunities to share stories through video, audio and/or social media. When completing assignments, the science writing intern will be responsible for conducting appropriate background research on the topic, interviewing Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s researchers and clinicians and working with the senior science communication specialist and researchers/clinicians to ensure accuracy of the story.
Previous science writing interns have gone on to secure jobs in science writing and medical writing and have been admitted to science journalism graduate school programs.
Qualifications and requirements:
• Pursuing a bachelors or masters degree with coursework in health, science writing or science (preferably in the biological sciences) with an interest in writing and/or journalism
• Must possess excellent writing and organizational skills
• Must demonstrate professionalism and willingness to learn
• Familiarity with AP style and/or journalistic writing a plus
• Professional experience and knowledge of social media a plus
• Must submit lay-friendly science writing sample(s)
• 2-3 days per week for 10 or more weeks between late August and December
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, writing samples and three professional references (names and contact information only; no letters of recommendation).