Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is now accepting applications for a Spring 2022 graphic design internship in the Office of Communications.
About Broad Institute:
The Broad Institute is pioneering a new model of collaborative biomedical science to transform biology and medicine. To do that, we have created a unique community of amazing, creative people — “Broadies” — each with a passion for pushing scientific frontiers.
Broadies have a diverse collection of talents, expertise, and backgrounds, creating a rich collaborative environment for solving intractable scientific problems. Our community transcends academic and organizational barriers, encouraging different points of view and making all Broadies part of something meaningful.
Broadies are deeply passionate about making a difference in the world and improving human health. We come from a diverse set of professional backgrounds and possess an innate curiosity about the world around us with a strong desire to challenge conventional wisdom. We look to everyone in our community — no matter your role or level — to contribute their thoughts and ideas.
This internship, based in the Office of Communications, involves assisting two full time graphic designers — as well as collaborating with writers, event planners and videographers — in the creation of a variety of graphic materials in support of both internal and external communications. These include:
- Illustration of scientific news and feature stories or infographics for the external Broad website
- Graphics for social media, videos and web
- Internal communications via multiple digital channels
- Graphic support for internal and external events, including signage, booklets, booth graphics, T-shirts
- Selecting, cropping and sizing photo assets
- Customization of templates in Powerpoint, MS Word and Google Docs and Slides
Both the starting date and the number of hours per week are negotiable. Ideally the position will start mid-to-late January and will end mid or late May. Hours may range between 16 and 24 hours per week and will be finalized with the candidate prior to start. Compensation will be $15/hour. This internship can be either fully remote or hybrid/in-person.
- A current undergraduate student
- Competence in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Competence in creating files for both print and digital with an attention to detail
- Demonstrated skill in the visual communication of ideas and messages
- Ability to collaborate or work independently
- A balance of creativity and pragmatism
- Illustration, animation or data visualization skills a plus
- Experience in designing for MS Word, Powerpoint/Google Doc and Slides a plus
- Experience in integrating data from MS Excel/Google Sheets a plus
Selection will be based on submission of portfolio as well as sample files in as many formats as available.
Application deadline is December 17, 2021.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and portfolio.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.