The Building Movement Project is based in New York City and is a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE (tsne.org). Applications are only accepted online through TSNE’s website: https://careers-tsne.icims.com/jobs/1766/finance%2c-grants-and-operations-manager/job
This position may be performed remotely.
The Building Movement Project (BMP) is seeking a Finance, Grants and Operations Manager. This is a new position intended to support the continued growth of BMP, which has staff and consultants in New York City Detroit, and New Mexico, as well as individual staff members working remotely. This position will be a key role that supports all members of the BMP staff, key consultants and vendors, and will work closely with both Co-Directors and other members of BMP’s senior leadership to oversee BMP’s administrative functions, including compliance with the systems of TSNE MissionWorks, the fiscal sponsor of the Building Movement Project.
The Finance, Grants and Operations Manager will have the following responsibilities:
Financial Oversight, Planning, Budgeting and Analysis
- Monitor and report monthly on BMP’s revenue and expenses, and meet regularly with TSNE’s Grants and Finance Manager to ensure accurate fiscal accounting;
- Prepare annual budget reports, as well as develop prospective budgets and scenario-based forecasting for BMP’s Co-Directors and senior leadership;
- Match expenses with revenue sources in consultation with the Co-Directors and TSNE;
- Ensure timely and thorough compliance with TSNE’s accounts payable and accounts receivable processes;
- Liaise directly with TSNE regarding BMP’s financial management;
- Manage the processing of payments to vendors, consultants, subcontractors, etc., including the appropriate allocation of those expenses;
- Process invoices, reimbursement requests and other payments;
- Process staff expense reimbursements, and ensure staff compliance with TSNE processes.
Manage Grants, Funding and Earned Revenue
- Establish a comprehensive calendar to track major deliverables to grantmakers (proposals, reports, etc.) and work with the relevant staff of BMP and TSNE to ensure that materials are submitted accurately and in a timely manner;
- Monitor incoming grants and track appropriate spending and allocation of expenses to grants;
- Update project leads on a monthly basis regarding grant expenses and timelines;
- Maintain filing systems for membership dues, donations, etc. and ensure that all gifts are acknowledged immediately;
- Manage the contracting processes by working with TSNE’s legal department, invoicing clients in a timely manner, and monitoring opportunities to generate earned revenue through training fees, speaker honoraria, etc;
- Work with BMP’s senior leadership on strategies to cultivate individual donors and maintain relationships with key grantmakers/funders;
- Develop and manage processes that direct financial resources to partner organizations on the ground, such as sub-granting, honoraria, etc., when needed.
Compliance with Administrative and HR Processes
- Serve as primary liaison with TSNE’s HR department to ensure compliance of BMP staff with policies and processes;
- Work with the Co-Directors and other BMP staff with supervisory responsibilities to maintain a timeline for performance reviews and other compliance with TSNE’s human resource systems;
- Work with the Co-Directors and other BMP staff with supervisory responsibilities to craft job descriptions for new staff hires;
- Coordinate communication and compliance with TSNE’s HR staff regarding review, posting and approval of hiring processes;
- Track applications for open positions and work with appropriate staff to schedule interviews and set up processes for ensuring fair and equitable review of candidates;
- Support staff members in engagement with human resources protocols and systems (e.g., timesheet entries);
- Work with TSNE to initiate consultant contracts, contract renewals, contract amendments, etc;
- Monitor and track consultant contracts from contract development, execution, and invoicing;, and ensure contract files are organized and readily available;
- Establish and maintain effective filing systems to ensure that invoices and all payments are recorded by BMP and reconciled with financial reports generated by TSNE.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- At least seven years of relevant work experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage complexity and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple assignments, prioritize workflow, adapt to fluctuating workload, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to build a rapport with – and support – a diverse team of busy staff members and consultants dispersed across various offices, especially helping staff understand and comply with complex administrative systems.
- Experience working with foundation staff and other grantmakers, including grantwriting and managing financial reporting.
- Commitment to ensuring that private information is kept confidential.
- Savvy about navigating complex organizational systems.
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency with Excel, Word, etc.
- Experience supporting a team of colleagues working remotely.