Laurel South is among the most prestigious, well-respected camps in the country. We offer quality instruction designed to allow children to participate in activities they love, while also allowing them to explore new and exciting opportunities.
At Laurel South, we pride ourselves on our professional, family atmosphere, our top instruction and the lifelong friendships made each summer. Our staff is made up of collegians and professionals who have a desire to make a difference in a child’s life. Activity areas include Land Sports, Water Front Activities, Fine Arts, Theatre, Adventure, Riding and more. Laurel South boasts top-notch facilities consisting of a beautiful waterfront with multiple beaches, a full-size theater, baseball fields, basketball centers, arts and crafts studios including photography, ceramics, ropes course with climbing wall, stables and riding rings, tennis courts, culinary center and more.
Each year, we choose the Laurel South team from students, graduates, and faculty from schools and colleges mostly from throughout the U.S. with a few from abroad. We look for people with personality, character, maturity, professional training, experience and most importantly, a sincere desire to work with children. Our counselor to camper ratio is better than 1:3. As a staff member, you enjoy several nights and days off during the summer. Our salaries are competitive and vary according to age, education, skill and experience. Room/board and laundry services are provided. This is a seasonal experience. Applicants must be available June 14th – August 15th.
Education Learning Outcomes:
1. The teacher intern develops a positive teaching-learning environment where all students are encouraged to achieve their highest potential.
2. The teacher intern demonstrates effective communication skills.
3.The teacher intern utilizes active listening skills and provides positive feedback.
4.The teacher intern plans and implements best practices in the curriculum appropriate to students, grade level, and course objectives.
Recreation Learning Outcomes:
1. Student interns will show understanding of outdoor leadership principles and begin to develop skills in decision-making, judgment, program design, and group facilitation.
2. Plan, organize, implement, and evaluate outdoor experiential education programs.
3. Provide input into the planning and design of indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, and the ability to operate such facilities in a safe and efficient manner.
Staring at $2,500 for the summer for college freshman and going up from there. Room/board and laundry services are provided.
All counselors/interns are supervised by my self the Head Counselor and directly with their Area Leaders.